• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P31

Reaction score
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Till now I'm losing 15 marks and the number of mistakes is increasing every time I see this thread :sick:
How is every body saying that it was easy!!!! :confused:
it was easy!
sooo easy we did blunders in the paper! :(
i don't wanna count the amount of marks i'm losing!

Reaction score
the answer was 8
Guys who said you can't have more than 8 electrons, check the electron distributions on the Internet and he told u what is the number if electrons in the last shell so you can't just assume that it is 3 or 4 the answer is 11 and I'm very very sure

Reaction score
Again,that question..The question was exactly like this
yWo7Cr.png

In both cases,electrolysis and cell,the cathode is where a REDCUTION reaction takes place and anode is where oxidation takes place.
In case of electrolysis,the anode is positive and cathode is negative.
The opposite occurs in a cell,where the more reactive metal loses electrons so it the negative pole and therefore ANODE.
Here there were no metals but the electrons flow was clearly shown,and the question stated
"Which electrode will be oxidized and decrease in mass"
Electrode B,Loses electrons ,dissolve in the solution as ions and its mass decreases(This actually ressembles electroplating where the ANODE loses electrons and change into ions.
While Electrode A,also decreases in mass but due to reaction with oxygen..This electrons compensate those lost in the reaction with oxygen which is A REDOX REACTION.
then both electrodes can work :p

Reaction score
Are you sure that there were letters written on the electrodes
I don't remember seeing any

Reaction score
So how is it electroplating when there is no battery :|
It is a cell but this type made of the same metals
The cathode is always where reduction takes place,in cell cathode is the + electrode
The anode is -ve electrode,loses electrons dissolve in the solution as ions and electrons
Move along the wire to A.The mass of A reamins constant since the Iron atoms reacting with oxygen are compensated by electrons receiving

So,how about dividing your equation by 2:|

For the organic isomers wht did you get?I wrote 1 chlorobutane and 2 chlorobutane
hahaa..I drew 1 Cl on the 1st Carbon..1 Cl on the 2nd Carbon

Reaction score
In the water treatment question ( Unfortunately I have never studied this topic :( ... just read it once in November)
If I wrote filtration to remove large obects than left in a tank to allow small particles to settle down .
Will I get 1 mark or non?

Reaction score
In the water treatment question ( Unfortunately I have never studied this topic :( ... just read it once in November)
If I wrote filtration to remove large obects than left in a tank to allow small particles to settle down .
Will I get 1 mark or non?
I think u will I wrote that and chlorination kills bactera

Reaction score
What did u write about addition of sodium chloride speeds up rusting
What was the formula of rust last quetion