• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper 1 doubts!!

Reaction score
Ok i go first !

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_s03_qp_1.pdf

questions 39 and 38.

For 38 the answer is B. For 39 it's C.
Why?? Thanks a lot and feel free to put your questions here!!
38- the ones that decolourize bromine r unsaturated hydrocarbons so thats our first choice while looking for the answers. The state at room temp. may vary in a homologous series and since all of the hydrocarbons burn in O2 we cant look for the answer with these hints (their too vague)

Reaction score
Ok i go first !

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_s03_qp_1.pdf

questions 39 and 38.

For 38 the answer is B. For 39 it's C.
Why?? Thanks a lot and feel free to put your questions here!!
Well, for 38 the one that decolourises would be in the same n the one that doesnt would be in the same so 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, so the ans is 1 and 3 i.e (B)
39 : is C as the one with C=C can be polymerised (Addition polymerisation)

Reaction score
Ya having all this time to study is crazy :O i wish we had it for p.p3 or smthin :)!
thankkkyouuuuxxx and good luck a* studenntt <3

Reaction score
NaOH forms so at the negative electrode it turns blue/purple & at anode forms chlorine so it becomes colourless (bleached)
I understood the part about the chlorine and the bleaching, but I think hydrogen should be formed at the cathode since the solution is aqueous and the less reactive one leaves the solution. I don't know.

Reaction score
I understood the part about the chlorine and the bleaching, but I think hydrogen should be formed at the cathode since the solution is aqueous and the less reactive one leaves the solution. I don't know.
Yes hydrogen does form at cathode but the solution left is also collected from the cathode and the option of hydrogen with chlorine is not there.. ( check the diagram in s2000 Q12 solution Z leaves at cathode )

Reaction score
Yes hydrogen does form at cathode but the solution left is also collected from the cathode and the option of hydrogen with chlorine is not there.. ( check the diagram in s2000 Q12 solution Z leaves at cathode )
Thank youuu :)
and i'm sorry, it took awhile till i got it.

Reaction score
Guys please I need some help in question 36 Nov 2008 paper 1 , why is it that chlorination couldn't remove the fertliliser? And question 13 in NOV 2009 paper 11, can anyone explain it please?