• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper1 [discussion here] after exam

Reaction score
are u sure abt the first question ? i made another tick
and for the second why not heating is used to dry the water only not heating to evaporate water of crystals?

Ivo

Reaction score
niassu said:
and for the second why not heating is used to dry the water only not heating to evaporate water of crystals?

Well, please elaborate on that first question cos there were similar questions that cropped up.

For your second point, please elaborate on what 1, 2, 3 and 4 and maybe you are right, but it is true that heating a hydrated salt turns it into hydrated. However, if you please elaborate then you might be right.

Reaction score
Ivo said:
niassu said:

Well, please elaborate on that first question cos there were similar questions that cropped up.

For your second point, please elaborate on what 1, 2, 3 and 4 and maybe you are right, but it is true that heating a hydrated salt turns it into hydrated. However, if you please elaborate then you might be right.
the first question is that of elementX
the second one is the first choice A (1,2,3,4)
heating washed salt may dry the water that washed it not necessarily evaporating water of crystallisation.right??

Ivo

Reaction score
niassu said:
Ivo said:
niassu said:

the first question is that of elementX
the second one is the first choice A (1,2,3,4)
heating washed salt may dry the water that washed it not necessarily evaporating water of crystallisation.right??

Was element X about adding it to sodium hydroxide? If it is, I put iron (II) and ammonium.

For your second qu., what were the reagents to get a hydrated salt? Was it copper oxide and sulphuric acid? Was the hydrated copper sulphate?

Reaction score
no plz the element X WHICH GAINED A PARTICLE
and for the second it was as u said
anyway thanks for ur help I really appreciate what u had said

Reaction score
When element X gained a particle, it gained a PROTON and moved one place to the right in the periodic table.

That was the answer... I think ;)

Ivo

Reaction score
niassu said:
no plz the element X WHICH GAINED A PARTICLE
and for the second it was as u said
anyway thanks for ur help I really appreciate what u had said

Element X, the qu. was about if it gained a proton or electron, what would happen?

For the other one, that is hard! I dunno, it's pretty ambigious, 'cos you wouldn't wash the hydrated crystals either.

Ivo

Reaction score
niassu said:
i wrote element X gained an electron

Hmm what was the full question? If it gained an electron, the thing is it won't move along one, so I don't get your point.

Reaction score
the question is : what is the correct statment if this particle is gained to element X:
1.proton-this gives the elemnt to the right of element X in the periodic table
2. electron-this gives the elemnt to the right of element X in the periodic table
and two other choices but i forgot them and i think the answer is one of these two so which of them is the right.

Reaction score
I'll tell you what guys, if the answer to the crystallization is NOT 2124, I'll buy every single one of you an Aston Martin DB9. Done deal? Alright.

I mean, how can you be so ignorant? Haven't you EVER read a chem text book? (To all those who wrote 1234)

Ivo

Reaction score
niassu said:
the question is : what is the correct statment if this particle is gained to element X:
1.proton-this gives the elemnt to the right of element X in the periodic table
2. electron-this gives the elemnt to the right of element X in the periodic table
and two other choices but i forgot them and i think the answer is one of these two so which of them is the right.

OK, that question is totally obvious. Look at a periodic table, take an element, for example Potassium, it has a proton number of 19. If it gains a proton, then it move one element to the right of that, which is Calcium, with a proton number of 20. I hope that answers your question.

Do remember that it is the proton number that determines the identity of the element, merely gaining an electron means it becomes an ion, but still of the same element.

Ivo

Reaction score
jaiveermariwala said:
I'll tell you what guys, if the answer to the crystallization is NOT 2124, I'll buy every single one of you an Aston Martin DB9. Done deal? Alright.

I mean, how can you be so ignorant? Haven't you EVER read a chem text book? (To all those who wrote 1234)

Can you please tell me what was the question and what were the 4 options. Also what does cocentrating the solution mean? Adding more solute or adding more solvent?

Reaction score
but as u know Ivo through the period the element gain electrons to give others on the right side
and not all the elemnts when gain electrons become ions those who do so are non-metals not transition elements nor metals .right?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Come on leave the answer for the examiner to decide which is correct.There is no use of presenting arguments to support your answer as whichever is correct you cant change it now!!so better go and study for the exams left.InshAllah You may all get success Aameen!!

Reaction score
I totlly agree with u Math angel...
wut's the point of discussing things which happened long time ago?!!

Reaction score
Ivo said:
jaiveermariwala said:

Can you please tell me what was the question and what were the 4 options. Also what does cocentrating the solution mean? Adding more solute or adding more solvent?

Options:
1. Concentrate the solution
2. Filter
3. Heat the crystals
4. Wash the crystals.

For those of you 1234's out there, if you had actually studied before your exam, during crystallization, you never EVER heat the crystals.
To concentrate means to HEAT THE SOLUTION, not crystals. Any other doubts? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I didn't make a mistake.

Reaction score
Dean713 said:
Guess Who said:
2124 was the answer

2 Filter
1 Concentrate
2 Filter
4 Wash

Paper was a piece of cake!
40/40 SURE!
how can u filter it twice? there was an option woth heating.....i got 1st varient....

1.concentrate
2.filter
3.wash
4.heat

Ivo

Reaction score
niassu said:
but as u know Ivo through the period the element gain electrons to give others on the right side
and not all the elemnts when gain electrons become ions those who do so are non-metals not transition elements nor metals .right?

I don't get your reasoning, how can gaining one more electron means it becomes a totally different element? That's what it means isn't it, by moving one position to the right, you have to gain a proton to do so.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I think it is far better t stop presenting arguments to support your ans. cuz u can nyway not change ur ans. so thiss just a waste of time!Ok discussing is fine but now breaking up into arguments and saying i am correct u r wrong is of no need.Please start revising for Paper 3 now and stop fighting or proving which answer is correct,understand!!Forget abt what u did inpaper 1 andtry to do more better than before in the upcomingexam.Please!!