• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper1 [discussion here] after exam

Reaction score
Just my thoughts on the proton question
Quite literally, if a substance gains a proton, it will move to the right. However, by gaining a proton, it's nucleon/ atomic mass number will change too, and an increasing atomic mass number is not constant.
Besides, how do you gain a proton?
By gaining an electron, elements start behaving as though they are the element on their right. Valence electrons are the ones who take part in Rxn's, so.

Oh, and dean, you do filter it twice. You filter it first, then concentrate the solution, place it on damp filter paper then wash it. I AM right. SO now stop asking. It's there in any Chemistry Text book.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I agree to jaiveermariwala and this is what I think but its betternow we forget what we did in Paper 1!!Start for Paper3 its time!!

Reaction score
Assalamalaikum ,
I am here to clarify this continue issue.
Just some words:
See if an atom X obtain an electron it's electrical structure is same as noble gases and come like the element in the next group ,to the right side of the element in the periodic table. But if for eg.sulfur atom gains an electron it behaves like chlorine atom?? or chlorine ion? :)
If the question says that if the particle X gain an electron and it behaves like the element in the next period then it will be electron for 100%
But when an atom get proton the element will change and becomes like the element in the next group of periodic table for eg.when oxygen atom gains a proton it changes to atom of fluorine although u may think OK, the proton number came as fluorine but the mass number of the atom of oxygen is different than mass number of the fluorine but do remember that is the atom of the fluorine element but with the different mass number which is due to nucleon number different,so this means that the atom is now an isotope of this element ,so the new atom is the isotope of the new element,because the proton number is same but with different nucleon number ... oxygen had 8 proton and 8 neutron,and now that the atom of it had gained a proton it will form atom of the next element to the right of it which is fluorine with 9 proton and 8 neutron.But the atom of fluorine has 9 proton and 10 neutron.
This is called as isotope BUT IS FLUORINE .So the answer is One of the proton Option>>>
Hope this clarify this complex question and gives an end to this question.I agree with math angle,Now better stop it and focus on your next exam!!
Good chance <Bonn Chance> :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Waalaikumassalam
imkillinit is absolutely right,JazakAllah Khair for your clarification!Hope this clears any questions in the minds of some people and i dont get to see any further arguments for the answer to that question!! :p

Reaction score
Dude, Imkillnit, where are you summary writing skills man? (jk)
I explained what you did in three lines, see above please.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
to bring the big argument to an end i think this big explanation was necessary ,as for the others ur 3 lines were enough but for a detailed explanation, imkillinit's was good one which left no point of doubt left which they were arguing for since 1 week!!both of u did a great job!!