• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Chemistry Paper 11 = Most Difficult paper ever made in history of CIE examinations.

Reaction score
I didn't do as well as expected. None of the stuff I was good at came in the test. (p12) :cry:

Anyway, we always have theory, and practicals to save us. We may yet manage a semi-decent grade. For now, I just wanna do well in practicals. Can someone link me to some good videos of people performing enthalpy change experiments? I'm watching one right now, but I want to see several, just to know how it's done.

I've done salt analysis and acid-base titration before, so I don't need too much help with that, though I should watch some salt analysis videos too. Does anyone know if there are other kinds of questions that come in practicals, or are these it?

Reaction score
i dont think paper 12 was really something tough although some questions were confusing.......... many were repeated from past papers... i didnt got an extraordinary but a nice paper

Reaction score
In chemsitry paper 12 today does anybody remember the answer to the 7 question about the equation at equilibrium We were given total moles at equilibrium (2+x/2).And also the question about the structure of C8H16Br2 what were the right options?Was it A 1-1 dibromo 2 propylpentane or B 1-2dibromo2propylpentane?

Reaction score
I didn't do as well as expected. None of the stuff I was good at came in the test. (p12) :cry:

Anyway, we always have theory, and practicals to save us. We may yet manage a semi-decent grade. For now, I just wanna do well in practicals. Can someone link me to some good videos of people performing enthalpy change experiments? I'm watching one right now, but I want to see several, just to know how it's done.

I've done salt analysis and acid-base titration before, so I don't need too much help with that, though I should watch some salt analysis videos too. Does anyone know if there are other kinds of questions that come in practicals, or are these it?

Please do share the video you're watching if its helpful. Would really appreciate anyone posting useful info.

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how we improve experiments? Like covering solutions, taking more readings etc.

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how we improve experiments? Like covering solutions, taking more readings etc.

For enthalpy experiments, use insulating material, and use an electronic thermometer that takes more accurate readings.
For titration, take multiple titration readings, and if there's anything interfering with the titration, get rid of it somehow (by heating, or filtering if it is a solid, etc...)
For salt analysis there is the most. If there is a color change involved, use a colorometer instead of eyes. If there is a gas produced, use a white background to notice it, and note the smell. If there is heating involved, make sure no heat is lost, etc... You can even make up your own.

---

What does an amorphous solid look like? Will we ever be given one, or will we always be given crystalline solids to identify?