• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to determine which acid is stronger than the other using as concepts only.
for e.g write the correct order of strength of acid in increasing order for ethanoic acid chloroethanoic acid and phenol

Reaction score
yes
about halogens, i thought the same thing.. but i had a question in a test, of second MCQ type.. it said that astatine is below Iodine, what r the likely properties of At? one of the sentences was that At forms diatomic molecules which dissociate more readily than Chlorine (1st sentence) i thought its wrong and so automatically marked it C but answer was wrong.. does this has to do with volatility?

astatine is more stable then cl coz of strong wanderwaals as comparing cl so may be it is having some link with the volatily ...but it depends on question that what was asked in it

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to determine which acid is stronger than the other using as concepts only.
for e.g write the correct order of strength of acid in increasing order for ethanoic acid chloroethanoic acid and phenol

the one which produces more H+ ions is a stronger one ....now just see that which produces more H+ ions

Reaction score
Hassan Ali Abid
one more question.. is At (below I) a reducing agent? i read in one of the notes but according to the question mentioned above, it is not (it was pne of the wrong sentences that said "It is a powerful reducing agent" ...or is it a reducing agent but not a powerful one?

hydroden halides are Reducing agents .....and power of reducing agent increases down the group ..... HCl<HBr<HI.......
p.s the non metals (helogens cl,br,I) are not reducing agents ...they are O.A .....metals are R.A...

and lastly i didnt get what you were saying above but i tried to explain what i have understood :(

Reaction score
For question 2,
Chlorine has 2 isotopes 35 and 37
And they are asking how many peaks are formed with Cl2+

Now, look at the formula again, it 2 of Cl...
so consider the possible arrangements
35-35
35-37 (which is same as 37-35)
37-37

So the number of peaks shall be 3, answer is B

For question 10, (according to me way)
Now you have an equation
1 -> 2 ( tht is the equation showing the mole only )
50% of the reactant dissociate.
Since mole ratio is 1:2 so for every 50% dissociation 2 x 50% is formed
thus 50% give 100% and the total thing is 100 + 50 = 150

to find Kp u need to know the formula
P product/ P reactant (P is partial pressure)

Now to find P of product u take ratio of product that is 100% and divide by total percentage that is 150%
this gives 2/3 as answer

Now for the P of reactant u take ratio of reactant that is 50% and divide by total percentage that is 150%
this gives 1/3 as answer

Now place them in formulea

(2/3) / (1/3)

BUT this is wrong, since i forgot to square the product. ( Remember the mole ratio ! )

so it should be

(2/3) ^2/ (1/3)

Do this in you calculator, and you get 4/3.

I am sure there is an easy way. But sorry that is the way I do it.
i really appreciate your help :) keep helping people

Reaction score

Well mate you're in the wrong section. The paper you linked is from IGCSE and you are posting in the A Levels section.

The answer for both will be D.

16: The oxidation number of Cu is going from +2 to 0 .. meaning it's gaining electrons and is being reduced.
Since OIL RIG (Oxidation Is Loss (of electrons) while Reduction Is Gain (of electrons) and CO is a strong reducing agent.

31. Well it's common knowledge.. But just for you to understand. These gases make acid rain by...

NO2 + H20 -> HN03 + NO (Nitric Acid)
SO2 + H20 -> HSO3 (Sulfurous Acid)

You don't need to learn these equations .. just need to know that All oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) and sulfur (SO2/SO3) make acids when reacting with rain water making the rain acidic.

Reaction score
i do know this but how cud i use this fact to determine which acid is more stronger than the other can u explain

Youll never be asked abt strength without any info,just remember mineral acids are very strong as compared to organic and use Bronsted and Lowry theory when u can and also that Arhennius theory abt the acid being strong if it fully ionizes in water to give an excess of H+ and for bases the vice versa !

Tertiary alcohol is the likely compound and to do that make a optical isomer structure,first make a carbon and attach to one end OH,the other end can have methyl,now u need to find two other hydrocarbon grps for ur isomers which are ethyl and propyl ( we use these because we need the least C atoms for our organic compound yet have an optical ... ) so answer is 7 ! Remember that optical isomers are formed when u have 4 different grps on the central atom !

29. is quite simple remember the mechanisms , for alkanes it is free radical substitution,for alkenes it is electrophillic addition and for haloalkanes they undergo their reaction by nucleophillic substitution. therefore the only homologous grp left is carbonyl compounds and their reactions occur by nucleophillic addition C is the answer :D

Reaction score
Two moles of compound P were placed in a vessel. The compound P was partly decomposed by
heating. A dynamic equilibrium between chemicals P, Q and R was established.
At equilibrium, x mol of R were present and the total number of moles present was (2 + x).
What is the equation for this equilibrium?
A P ---> 2Q + R
B 2P---> 2Q + R
C 2P---> Q + R
D 2P----> Q + 2R

Can someone help with this, i've tried a lot but i cant get it right :)

Reaction score
Youll never be asked abt strength without any info,just remember mineral acids are very strong as compared to organic and use Bronsted and Lowry theory when u can and also that Arhennius theory abt the acid being strong if it fully ionizes in water to give an excess of H+ and for bases the vice versa !

Tertiary alcohol is the likely compound and to do that make a optical isomer structure,first make a carbon and attach to one end OH,the other end can have methyl,now u need to find two other hydrocarbon grps for ur isomers which are ethyl and propyl ( we use these because we need the least C atoms for our organic compound yet have an optical ... ) so answer is 7 ! Remember that optical isomers are formed when u have 4 different grps on the central atom !

29. is quite simple remember the mechanisms , for alkanes it is free radical substitution,for alkenes it is electrophillic addition and for haloalkanes they undergo their reaction by nucleophillic substitution. therefore the only homologous grp left is carbonyl compounds and their reactions occur by nucleophillic addition C is the answer :D
thanks man, keep helping people :)

Reaction score
Two moles of compound P were placed in a vessel. The compound P was partly decomposed by
heating. A dynamic equilibrium between chemicals P, Q and R was established.
At equilibrium, x mol of R were present and the total number of moles present was (2 + x).
What is the equation for this equilibrium?
A P ---> 2Q + R
B 2P---> 2Q + R
C 2P---> Q + R
D 2P----> Q + 2R

Can someone help with this, i've tried a lot but i cant get it right :)

You just have to try each option to see if it works, using the given stoichiometric equation.
Going straight to B: If you had two moles of P originally and then x mol of R were present at equilibrium, then you'd expect 2x mol of Q to be formed at equilibrium. Furthermore you'd use up 2x mol of P, so that there is 2-2x mol of P at equlibrium. If you add the total: 2-2x+2x+x=2+x