• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
OHCH2CONH2 PRODUCES NH3 WHEN HEATED WITH NAOH CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW AND WHAT GROUPS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT

Reaction score
hydroden halides are Reducing agents .....and power of reducing agent increases down the group ..... HCl<HBr<HI.......
p.s the non metals (helogens cl,br,I) are not reducing agents ...they are O.A .....metals are R.A...

and lastly i didnt get what you were saying above but i tried to explain what i have understood :(
no problems about the other one...
I asked my teacher 2day n she said that Oxidising ability decreases down the gp 7, so iodine is a reducing agent :)
Thanks anyway... :D

Reaction score
You just have to try each option to see if it works, using the given stoichiometric equation.
Going straight to B: If you had two moles of P originally and then x mol of R were present at equilibrium, then you'd expect 2x mol of Q to be formed at equilibrium. Furthermore you'd use up 2x mol of P, so that there is 2-2x mol of P at equlibrium. If you add the total: 2-2x+2x+x=2+x
are u sure wouldn't every term in the equation just cancel out each other tbh i tried it that way too....:(

Reaction score
I asked my teacher 2day n she said that Oxidising ability decreases down the gp 7, so iodine is a reducing agent :)

u are saying it wrong .....

look if u go down the group ,the oxidising ability increases .........just confirm this once again :)

Reaction score
u are saying it wrong .....

look if u go down the group ,the oxidising ability increases .........just confirm this once again :)

Down the group the oxidising ability increase, thus down the group the better reducing agents.

Reaction score
Reaction score
The Kc expression for reaction I is
Kc(1)= [X2Y]^2 / [X2]^2 + [Y2]

And for reaction two

Kc(2)= [X2] + [Y2]^1/2 / [X2Y]

Now we should rearrange the first expression in order to get a form similar to second expression.

( [X2]^2 + [Y2]) Kc(1) = [X2Y]^2
( [X2]^2 + [Y2]) Kc(1) / [X2Y]^2 = 1
[X2]^2 + [Y2] / [X2Y]^2 = 1/Kc(1)
now square root all terms to get
[X2] + [Y2]^1/2 / [X2Y] = 1/(Kc(1))^1/2 (see the power of half is a square root)

we can see that

Kc(2) = 1/[Kc(1)]^1/2
= 1/(2)^1/2

Reaction score

First remove C6H5 from the molecular formula as a phenyl is attached to the alkyl grps and...... now u get C4H9O
Now look at what the second requirement says not reactive to mild oxi agents which means it was a tertiary alcohol ! Now u can easily throw A and B out as they wont ever form a tertiary alcohol and C can also be thrown out as it shows a double bond at a Carbon where only a secondary alcohol can form event though u have that methyl at the end ! remember that when dehydration takes place the OH obviously is removed plus an H from the next door carbon to the carbon on which the OH was attached is also removed and between these carbons a double bond is formed this is what happens in alcohol dehydration !

Reaction score
answer should be C
the first one says the reaction is exothermic in the forward direction, the graph shows increase in kp while the temperature increases, according to le chatier's principle if a reaction is exothermic then then on a increase in temperature the reaction should proceed in the backward direction, hence this statement is incorrect
so if the first one is incorrect then according to our options we have only one choice left
if u still need further explanation i suggest visit www.chemguide.co.uk and learn about le chatier's principal