• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Iam not sure about this but i think that is because the 1 and 2 carbon atoms are not bonded to 4 atoms, the C-H bond is broken and H+ lost before an external bond is formed there is a pie electron cloud in the benzene ring....
Hope iam corect :)
I was treating the benzene ring as a cycloalkane...The carbon-carbon double bonds in it escaped my mind. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
W.S!
Kp is simply the equilibrium constant in terms of partial pressures. Since gases can occupy any container, there volume is indefinite. The Kp provides a better measure of the equilibrium constant in reactions involving gases as conc. = moles/volume, which is difficult to determine.
To find partial pressure, use: p = n/N x P, where
n: no. of moles of the particular gas (whole partial pressure is being found)
N: total no. of moles (of all gases)
P: total pressure (of all gases).

Once you have the partial pressures, Kp is found in exactly the same way as Kc. Just use the partial pressures where you'd use concentrations.
mm is the calculation included in a level ???

Reaction score
shit man !!! i have no idea what tht is !!! our stupid teacher havent even gave us any info about this !! :mad: thought it was for a2 ! ughhhhh
im screwed :cry:
Its not that difficult as it seems to be, last year when i was in AS, i also felt worried on seeing these "weird" calculations but once you get the trick, you'll call it a piece of cake...:)

Reaction score
what is the appearance of ammonium chloride? and the colour of aqueous of aqueous ammonia?

Reaction score
In that method n is the number of double bonds + the number of chiral centers however as there are no chiral centres in consideration here, the double bonds must be counted.
I use this formula:
Total Number of isomers = 2^(a+b)
where
a is the number of double bonds
b is the number of chiral centres
....ok ths sounds authentic =P......but still are u sure abt ths one....cuz i cant find it in any of the text books i have.....sorry .... no offence...:p

Reaction score
....ok ths sounds authentic =P......but still are u sure abt ths one....cuz i cant find it in any of the text books i have.....sorry .... no offence...:p
I always solved these type of questions when i was in AS using this method and never got wrong, its absolutely correct. Dnt worry:)

Reaction score
thank u ..:).anyways....its good to see u helping out others even when u r out of ths trouble....if u dont mind...may i ask u ...how did u manage the practical part in AS.....

Reaction score
Its not that difficult as it seems to be, last year when i was in AS, i also felt worried on seeing these "weird" calculations but once you get the trick, you'll call it a piece of cake...:)
ya but man we havent took any calculation regarding equilibrium !! im afraid he havent gave us even more stuff =/ ide kill him if so ! -_-

Reaction score
In that method n is the number of double bonds + the number of chiral centers however as there are no chiral centres in consideration here, the double bonds must be counted.
I use this formula:
Total Number of isomers = 2^(a+b)
where
a is the number of double bonds
b is the number of chiral centres
This formula will only yield the total number of stereo-isomers. Yes? Structural isomers will still have to be taken into account.

Reaction score
This formula will only yield the total number of stereo-isomers. Yes? Structural isomers will still have to be taken into account.
Yes the formula is for total number of STEREO isomers only

Reaction score
thx dude ! i hope ! =p
btw how did you do in ur a levels ??
Ur welcome..
I got 3 'a', i have written it down in the information section of my profile.
BTW, the a levels isnt complete yet, still doing A2....:)