• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
but barium chloride is also a ppt. it is given as a standard test for Cl-.
And also how can we see solubility when ppt of sulfate is left?
among all salts in our syllabus the only insoluble salts of Barium are Barium Carbonate, BaSO4 and BaS03
we will first add HCl to remove carbonate and then add BaCl. if we get ppt then we add dilute acid in excess to make sure it is SO4 not SO3.
BaSO4 is insoluble in acidic solution.

Reaction score
Reaction score
(ii) Use the Data Booklet to suggest a value for the energy required to form one mole of
the gaseous radium cation you have given in (i) from one mole of gaseous radium
atoms. Explain your answer.
Mark scheme :
less than (502 + 966)
allow answers in the range 1000–1400 kJ mol–1 (1)
ionisation energies decrease down the Group
or must be less than IE for Ba → Ba2+
or size of atom increases down Group/
electrons are further away from nucleus
or there is increased shielding down Group

Reaction score
(ii) Use the Data Booklet to suggest a value for the energy required to form one mole of
the gaseous radium cation you have given in (i) from one mole of gaseous radium
atoms. Explain your answer.
u have to write the value for the first ionisation energy of radium... as Ionisation energy is the energy required to remove one mole of valence electron from one mole of gaseous atom to form one mole of a unipositive ion...
here one electron is removed so u'll write the value for the first ionisation energy of the radium

Reaction score
u have to write the value for the first ionisation energy of radium... as Ionisation energy is the energy required to remove one mole of valence electron from one mole of gaseous atom to form one mole of a unipositive ion...
here one electron is removed so u'll write the value for the first ionisation energy of the radium
But u wont find the 1st ionisation energy for Ra in the data booklet my friend ==" .If it was so easy i wud not have posted this question.I know the IE will be less than that of Ba but why did they add up the 1st and 2nd IE of Ba ? i am confused

Reaction score
But u wont find the 1st ionisation energy for Ra in the data booklet my friend ==" .If it was so easy i wud not have posted this question.I know the IE will be less than that of Ba but why did they add up the 1st and 2nd IE of Ba ? i am confused
which paper is ths?

Reaction score
For question B (i) the answer is reaction number 4 and the addition product is CH3COCH3. Can someone explain to me how?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
For question B (i) the answer is reaction number 4 and the addition product is CH3COCH3. Can someone explain to me how?
well reaction 4 shoows an addition reaction and in an addition reaction always one product forms so we can say its the addition product

Reaction score
w09 qp 21 q1(d)
oh ...the thing is that here we r removing 2 electrons at one time so the first ionisation energy + the second ionisation energy will give us the total energy required to remove 2 electrons from a barium atom... as down the group ionisation energy is decreasing and I.E of radium will be less than Ba so we will write a value that is lower than the value for Ba...

Reaction score
oh ...the thing is that here we r removing 2 electrons at one time so the first ionisation energy + the second ionisation energy will give us the total energy required to remove 2 electrons from a barium atom... as down the group ionisation energy is decreasing and I.E of radium will be less than Ba so we will write a value that is lower than the value for Ba...
hmmmm..i got it! :D yaaay! thank you.I wasted 30 mins on this question.i didnt see that 2 electrons are being removed from Ra :mad:.Good thinking.
Thanks! :)