• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
yar there are reaction of propene ie alkene with hydrogen halides so ie MARCHONOVI RULE so by applying that it can be true isnt it ?

i dont know about that but SOCl2 is a very obvious answer if you need explanation as to why other options are incorrect consult someone else

Reaction score
AoA,
Q9:
pressure is directly proportional to number of moles of solute, as from the equation moles of solute are increasing pressure increases
, and it is obvious that glucose and fructose are not optical isomers so they are structural isomers
Therefore, the answer is D

Q10:
098.png
Thus, A is the answer!

Q35:
When firework is lit, heat is given to barium nitrate and it decomposes due to heat
Ba(NO3)2 --> BaO + 2NO2 + 0.5O2
BaO can be reduced to barium by Mg, and in doing so MgO will form
However, since the nitrate is not stable to heat, magnesium nitrate cannot form!
That means options 1 and 2 are correct and 3 is wrong
That is why B is the answer!

Q39:
You should know from the knowledge of reactions why options 2 and 3 are correct!
1 is incorrect because by boiling CH3CH2Cl under reflux with dilute alkali will produce CH3CH2OH
but adding mineral acid will not turn it into ethanoic acid, that can only be done by oxidation under reflux!

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w04_qp_4.pdf
in Q2 part e.. isnt the ratio of electrons to hydrogen 2:1.. hence when we get mol of electron by 345600/96500 we divide it by 2 to get get mol of hydrogen wich will also be its mass? PLEASE ANSWER
AoA,
the half equation is:
H2(g) --> 2H+(aq) + 2e
Q = It = 0.01 * 400 * 24 * 3600 = 3.45 * 10^5 C
mol of electrons = Q / Faraday constant
= (3.45 * 10^5) / (9.65 * 10^4)
= 3.6 mol
2 mol electrons produce 2g hydrogen gas (1 mol)
3.6 mol will produce
= (2 / 2) * 3.6
= 3.6 g
:)

Reaction score
well @smz imran when 4 cl will be bonded to carbon......its p orbital will be filled as opposed to when 3Cl will be bonded toB....its p orbital will still have space to accomodate a lone pair of electrons
i dint thought abt the bonded situation and got confused

Reaction score
well @smz imran when 4 cl will be bonded to carbon......its p orbital will be filled as opposed to when 3Cl will be bonded toB....its p orbital will still have space to accomodate a lone pair of electrons
i dint thought abt the bonded situation and got confused
So, is there still confusion ?
:unsure:

Reaction score
no now its okay..........well this hydrolysis occur via SN2 SIMILAR mechanism ryt....that why we need empty orbitals for transition state to form???

Reaction score
oct/nov 09 mcq 40..Paper12..explanation is required....Please....with explanations..!!!!

Attachments

• 9701_w09_qp_12.pdf
    172.7 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
AoA,
Q9:
pressure is directly proportional to number of moles of solute, as from the equation moles of solute are increasing pressure increases
, and it is obvious that glucose and fructose are not optical isomers so they are structural isomers
Therefore, the answer is D

Q10:
View attachment 7325
Thus, A is the answer!

Q35:
When firework is lit, heat is given to barium nitrate and it decomposes due to heat
Ba(NO3)2 --> BaO + 2NO2 + 0.5O2
BaO can be reduced to barium by Mg, and in doing so MgO will form
However, since the nitrate is not stable to heat, magnesium nitrate cannot form!
That means options 1 and 2 are correct and 3 is wrong
That is why B is the answer!

Q39:
You should know from the knowledge of reactions why options 2 and 3 are correct!
1 is incorrect because by boiling CH3CH2Cl under reflux with dilute alkali will produce CH3CH2OH
but adding mineral acid will not turn it into ethanoic acid, that can only be done by oxidation under reflux!
For Q39 i dont understand what will happen when aqueous akali is added to compund 2(ester) and compound 3(nitrile)?

Reaction score
For Q39 i dont understand what will happen when aqueous akali is added to compund 2(ester) and compound 3(nitrile)?
hydrolysis for ester and nothing to mitrile
nitrile will be converted when acidified!

Reaction score
plz can anyone help me in solving question no 5)b)4

Attachments

• 9701_s10_qp_41.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hi guys
Can anyone tell me something about complex ions? One past paper question asked me to draw the displayed shape of d-orbitals of metal cation in complex ions, and to explain the energy differences among the d-orbitals. I felt like my teacher did not mention this part. :p

The d-orbital is divided into two energy levels,two of the orbitals stay in higher energy level and three of the orbitals stay in lower energy level and the amount of energy absorbed by the complex ion is exactly equal to the difference in the energy between those levels..

if you look at the picture the two orbitals at the bottom are at higher energy level and the top three orbitals are at lower energy level and the reason why the two orbitals are at higher energy is because they lie close to the ligands !!!

Attachments

• FG06_023.gif
    FG06_023.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
hello guys!​
can a chemist please help me..​
i need explanation for some of the questions in paper 1 oct/nov 05​
Q3, Q5, Q14, Q16, Q17, Q18, Q29, Q30, Q38.​
please helppp... :/​

for question 5,the answer is HCl,though we don't have to know much in detail about it but just keep in mind that the heavier the mass more it will be deviated from ideal gas.
for question 14,just draw the orbital in box form,you can see that phosphorus has half filled p-orbital which means it has the highest ionization energy and as silicon no doubt has the has highest melting point and as sulphur exist in S8 form which means it has higher melting point than phosphorus which exist in P4 form
for question 18,if you form a equation the you can see that ammonia,calcium sulphate and water is formed,so obviously the answer is C
for question 29,there is no presence of aldehyde so no effect of Fehlings reagent,as it can't declourise bromine becuase there is no double bond present in carbon chain so that bromine can be declourises,it is soluble in water so lastly we have just one option left but if you still wana now how the option is D then search about acid anhydride,it might help you
for question 30,you can see that the chain seems like ester chain,so obviously the answer is hydrolysis