• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
princess Anu:

If by any chance you don't get what I have just wrote, then here is a simpler explanation

As we go down the group, the size of the atoms increases right? Thus the outer valence electron goes farther away from the nucleus (the nucleus is at the center). Metallic bonding involves the attraction between the valence of electrons and the nucleus. Since the valence electrons are farther away, there will be less attraction between the nucleus and the electrons. Kinda like a magnet and a strip of iron. The farther you take the strip from the magnet, the weaker the attraction. Since the attraction is weaker, less energy is required to overcome the forces of attraction.

Reaction score
can any one help me i want chemistry alevel cie papers , all for them combined <latest pastpapers> mcqs,theory and practical

Reaction score
The structure already shows CH3 and H.
You need to complete it using the following:
H2N
HO2C
H
OH
kasmay? XD
princess Anu:

If by any chance you don't get what I have just wrote, then here is a simpler explanation

As we go down the group, the size of the atoms increases right? Thus the outer valence electron goes farther away from the nucleus (the nucleus is at the center). Metallic bonding involves the attraction between the valence of electrons and the nucleus. Since the valence electrons are farther away, there will be less attraction between the nucleus and the electrons. Kinda like a magnet and a strip of iron. The farther you take the strip from the magnet, the weaker the attraction. Since the attraction is weaker, less energy is required to overcome the forces of attraction.
adding to what he said ^ atomic size decreases left to right in the peri table (that's why group 1 elements have bigger sized atoms comparatively)

Reaction score
kasmay? XD

adding to what he said ^ atomic size decreases left to right in the peri table (that's why group 1 elements have bigger sized atoms comparatively)

Your avatar is awesome. :D So much win!

I so loved how he put Kakashi through 3 days of illusioned pain and then said "Only 71 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds to go".

Reaction score
hey...can somebody help me out with dis...
its urgent...
7a i) General formula : CnH(2n+1) OH
Now for verifying it that this formula is correct or not let's take example ---> Ethanol which is two carbon alcohol so now put it into formula --> C2H([2*2]+1)OH ===> C2H5OH which means it is correct :)

ii) To find it's molecular formula we have to calculate emplerical formula mass --> CH3OH --> 12+3+16+1 => 32
Now, mass of 1 mole/emperical formula mass ====> 116/32 ---> 3.625 which is equal to 4
now multiply this number with emperical formula --> 4(CH3OH) ==> C4H7OH

Can you check this second one answer I am not sure fully