• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Doubt it. Calcium carbonate decomposes into calcium oxide and carbon dioxide when heated above 840°C, so gentle heating from a Bunsen burner would not be sufficient.
Oh I see.
I have a question. Would it melt or thermally decompose? Is there a way to make it do one and not the other based on what we wish?

Reaction score
upload_2015-5-29_20-44-49.png
How is only number 1 correct?
Ethanoic acid has only 2 Carbons which is less than the empirical formula!?

Reaction score
View attachment 54235

How is it 3? i can only see 2...?

A hydrogen atom must be broken off from the organic compound by homolytic fission. Depending on from where this is done, a different resulting free radical will be formed.

The three methane groups are treated as same. From the ethyl group there are two carbons from which the hydrogen may be stolen

Attachments

• QuickMemo+_2015-05-29-18-18-28.png
    QuickMemo+_2015-05-29-18-18-28.png
    620.9 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
View attachment 54238
How is only number 1 correct?
Ethanoic acid has only 2 Carbons which is less than the empirical formula!?
Ca has a vacancy of +2. It would form Ca(OH)2, for example.
When Na reacts with acid it's simply like CH3COONa. But Ca will join with two of the anions.
Ca2+ ( CH3COO- )2

Thus the empirical formula has 4 carbon atoms.

Reaction score
Since this is obviously a decomposition reaction, we can conclude that one mole of N2F4 decomposes into 2 moles of NF2. Therefore, only the N-N bond in the middle is broken, and not the N-F bonds. Option 1 is incorrect.

Option 2 states that the enthalpy change of the reaction is +160kJ/mol. This is the approximate bond enthalpy of the N-N bond, so this is correct.

Since we have concluded that X is NF2, we can now begin to inspect it in detail. A nitrogen atom has 5 valence electrons, and 2 of these are involved in bonding. This leaves 3 other electrons in the valence shell, unbonded. Therefore, the molecule is non-linear. Option 3 is correct.

Since Options 2 and 3 are correct, the answer is C.

Thank you!!

Reaction score
It says pressure inside will be greater than atmospheric pressure outside. This is not true. Rather, they must be equal because the gas has stopped expanding. If the pressure inside were greater, the gas would continue pushing against the plunger and expanding.

Q 18: X - the fumes produced are HCl. If it's dissolved in aqueous potassium iodide solution, nothing happens. It dissolves. So the solution is colourless.
Y - any silver chloride solid that precipitates would dissolve in the ammonia solution, by forming Ag(NH3)2Cl. So again colourless.

Reaction score
It says pressure inside will be greater than atmospheric pressure outside. This is not true. Rather, they must be equal because the gas has stopped expanding. If the pressure inside were greater, the gas would continue pushing against the plunger and expanding.

Q 18: X - the fumes produced are HCl. If it's dissolved in aqueous potassium iodide solution, nothing happens. It dissolves. So the solution is colourless.
Y - any silver chloride solid that precipitates would dissolve in the ammonia solution, by forming Ag(NH3)2Cl. So again colourless.
Thankyew soo much :)

but see in Y- first it forms the complex Ag(NH3)2Cl then its being added to silver nitrate so wont their be a ppt now ?

Reaction score
Thankyew soo much :)

but see in Y- first it forms the complex Ag(NH3)2Cl then its being added to silver nitrate so wont their be a ppt now ?
You said first it forms the complex... How? Ag+ ions are introduced from the silver nitrate solution LATER as you said.

But I understand what you mean, that they are adding the reagents the other way around. First they made the chloride ions dissolve in ammonia solution. Then they added the silver ions. This does not make any difference. The solution now has silver ions that will attempt to precipitate with chloride ions, only to be joined by the ammonia molecules also present, thus forming the complex. Hope that made sense :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You said first it forms the complex... How? Ag+ ions are introduced from the silver nitrate solution LATER as you said.

But I understand what you mean, that they are adding the reagents the other way around. First they made the chloride ions dissolve in ammonia solution. Then they added the silver ions. This does not make any difference. The solution now has silver ions that will attempt to precipitate with chloride ions, only to be joined by the ammonium ions also present, thus forming the complex. Hope that made sense :)
Ohh yea...I completely forgot ammonia was still in the complex xP
Thanks alot...I got it now =)

Reaction score
Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question.
Ethyl ethanoate can be obtained from ethanoic acid and ethanol by the following reaction.
CH3CH2OH + CH3CO2H = CH3CO2CH2CH3 + H2O (where the = is the double arrow arrow)
Ethanol (30 g) and ethanoic acid (30 g) are heated under reflux together, and 22 g of ethyl
ethanoate are obtained.
What is the yield of the ester?
A. 25%
B. 38%
C. 50%
D. 77%

Answer is C, I need the explanation or workout for the calculations please!