• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I think it might be because if the pH is 14, there is a very high concentration of hydroxide ions. This would lead to OH- ions having high chances of collision with the aluminum and barium nitrate. It's just a guess I'm not sure though
yea there wud high conc. of OH- ions but why wud it collide with Al and Ba(NO3)2 ? :S

Reaction score
how to find the oxidation state of Ag in this ion..? is shud come out to be +1:/ thou i'm getting -1
help!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Reaction score
why is B wrong?
If B was to be true, then purple vapour would've formed with sodium iodide in the second row too

how to find the oxidation state of Ag in this ion..? is shud come out to be +1:/ thou i'm getting -1
help!!!
Sulphur has a charge of +2 in this case, so S2O3 has a total charge of -2 which becomes -4 since there are two of them. The total charge of the entire molecule is -3, so Ag must be +1.

Reaction score
yea there wud high conc. of OH- ions but why wud it collide with Al and Ba(NO3)2 ? :S
Just wanna say again I'm not sure but:
If aluminium hydroxide and barium hydroxide are being formed by reaction with water it's probably got to do with OH- ions from water forming dative bond with the metal atoms...
So if there is more such OH- ions in the mixture, there would probably be a higher rate of occurance for this bond formation... Due to random movement and collision and bla bla the high concentration of the OH- increases reaction rate. I suppose. I hope someone else has a more thorough answer.

Reaction score
i have problem while solving question number b iii) :(
your help will be much appreciated

Attachments

• 2015-06-01 18_11_04-Capture.png
    2015-06-01 18_11_04-Capture.png
    56 KB · Views: 14