• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Please help with these nov 2014 p13

Attachments

• ca.PNG
    ca.PNG
    64.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Honestly, its just as likely that D was the answer and we are running in circles trying hard to justify B.

If I assume they are plotted on the same scale, and overlay the two graphs....if B was really the intended answer, would it be fair for students to see the very very slight shift to the right?Maybe you are on to something with the focus on the area, but it can be optically misleading.
If I were to take the exam that year, I would honestly say I would have chosen D at that moment (and possibly gotten it wrong). :confused:

Lets just hope the paper for this year avoids such ambiguity.

View attachment 54618
I hope the same too ...

Reaction score
Help please ...

Which gas is likely to deviate most from ideal gas behaviour?

A HCl
B He
C CH4
D N2

The Ans is A ...
How do we know that HCL deviates most from the ideal gas behaviour ... do we have to memorise this or is there anyway we can find out ? please helpp

Reaction score
Help please ...

A HCl
B He
C CH4
D N2

The Ans is A ...
How do we know that HCL deviates most from the ideal gas behaviour ... do we have to memorise this or is there anyway we can find out ? please helpp
I think we have to look at the number of electrons.. the one with greatest number of e or the greatest MR will have the greatest strength of VWW forces of attraction

Reaction score
If a compound has a ring in it,does that mean all bonds will be at angles and there will be no possibility of Cis Trans at any double bond inside the ring?
Metanoia

Reaction score
Help please ...

A HCl
B He
C CH4
D N2

The Ans is A ...
HCl have most difference b/w electronegativity... (PRESENCE OF FORCE OF ATTRACTION)

Reaction score
I think we have to look at the number of electrons.. the one with greatest number of e or the greatest MR will have the greatest strength of VWW forces of attraction
HCl have most difference b/w electronegativity... (PRESENCE OF FORCE OF ATTRACTION)
So basically its like we have to see the forces between the atoms in the compound eh?

Thank you both of you :D

Reaction score
So basically its like we have to see the forces between the atoms in the compound eh?

Thank you both of you :D
We are asked to find the which deviates most from ideal gas behaviour.
one postulate of ideal gas is, it doesnt have inter molecular orce of attraction.. HCl was the strongest in this reason which makes you sure that it devieates most

ignore spell errors :D

Reaction score
yeah but why don't we consider C-O bonds too? :p
Energy is released when these compounds undergo combustion ... combustion is basically reacting with Oxygen And compounds A, C, and D already have oxygen in them and have the same number of carbon atoms as B.. so we can considered them to be partly combusted.. Hence only compound B havent got Oxygen in it .. And so the Ans is B

Reaction score
If a compound has a ring in it,does that mean all bonds will be at angles and there will be no possibility of Cis Trans at any double bond inside the ring?
Metanoia

Trans and cis are possible at the double bonds when the ring has 8 or more carbons.