• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum wr wb!

got some doubts:

Q2. B because ionisation energy decreses. More shielding effect. Hence, easier to remove the outermost electron.

Q.6 D is correct because. In CrO2Cl2 the o.s of Cr is x -4 -2 = 0 so, x = +6 and in Cr2O3 it's o.s is 2x -6 = 0 , x = + 3
Oxidation state from +6 to +3 is reduction.

Q12. SiCl4 + 2H20 -> SiO2 + 4HCl (normal reaction which is in syllabus of Period 3 elements)
SiO2 is white solid (so white ppt) and HCl is acidic so acidic solution.

Q13. P4O10 + Water -> Phosphoric Acid so acidic pH
PCl5 + Water -> Phosphoric acid + Fumes of HCl so acidic pH. Same effect on pH of P.

Q16. ONLY and ONLY TEMPERATURE AFFECTS THE equilibrium constant Kc. Write this somewhere.

Q24. Intermediate is a Carbocation which has a positive charge. Positive charge means electron lover. Electron lover means electrophile.

Q34.
No possibility at all of Sulfuric Acid formation.
Ammonium sulfate + lime water -> Calcium Sulfate + Ammonia

Q15. Magnesium hyddroxide is a base. NH4+ when donates a proton can act as an acid and so option D is correct.

Q31. Net dipole moment at the NH2 groups may become zero at some point when another hydrogen bond is formed between them and so temporary induced dipole arises. Not sure though.

Reaction score
PV = nRT
V = nRT/PV

Moles of water used = Mass/Mr = 1/18 = 0.056...

V (in cm^3) = (0.056 * 8.314 * 596) / (101 x 10^3)
V = 2.72 dm^3

So C is right. It's off by a little but the only option close to it is C. Also, remember that you have to use SI units in the formula.

thank you

Reaction score
aoa wr wb!
in that case, you definitely would have received a warning... ;)
Did you? :p
So you removed that post?
Man I could've sworn it would have been somebody like Nibz!
So did you like that joke:p
By the way, why did you remove it? You could've just locked it.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
So you removed that post?
Man I could've sworn it would have been somebody like Nibz!
So did you like that joke:p
By the way, why did you remove it? You could've just locked it.

That's the reason...remember never to suspect someone until you have a proof ;)

When you could joke, then I can act smart enough to remove that thread completely ;)

anyway better not go off-topic.

Reaction score
Q12. SiCl4 + 2H20 -> SiO2 + 4HCl (normal reaction which is in syllabus of Period 3 elements)
SiO2 is white solid (so white ppt) and HCl is acidic so acidic solution.
Hmh i thought you got Si[oh]4 when you dissolved SiCl4 in water

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, sorry. My bad! Wrote that in a hurry. There were too many questions and very little time. The answer still stays the same because the important point is the dissolution of HCl in water :D

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Hmh i thought you got Si[oh]4 when you dissolved SiCl4 in water

Yes, sorry. My bad! Wrote that in a hurry. There were too many questions and very little time. The answer still stays the same because the important point is the dissolution of HCl in water :D
chemguide says
These are also called silicon(IV) chloride, germanium(IV) chloride and tin(IV) chloride.
Silicon tetrachloride reacts violently with water to give white solid silicon dioxide and steamy fumes of HCl.

sicl4hydr.gif

Reaction score
chemguide says
These are also called silicon(IV) chloride, germanium(IV) chloride and tin(IV) chloride.
Silicon tetrachloride reacts violently with water to give white solid silicon dioxide and steamy fumes of HCl.
AoA
Where do i get chemguide frm?
and other subbjects too?

Reaction score
7 Which pair of elements have bonds of the same type between their atoms in the solid state?
A aluminium and phosphorus
B chlorine and argon
C magnesium and silicon
D sulphur and chlorine

why is the answer D and not A or B?