• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
7 Which pair of elements have bonds of the same type between their atoms in the solid state?
A aluminium and phosphorus
B chlorine and argon
C magnesium and silicon
D sulphur and chlorine

why is the answer D and not A or B?
AoA,
Not A because Aluminium has metallic bonding while Phosphorus has a simple molecular struture with covalent bonds and Van der Waals forces
Not B because chlorine is diatomic (covalent bonding) while argon is a noble gas : monoatomic
Not C because Mg has metallic bonding while Silicon has covalent bonds
It is D because both have molecular structure with covalent bonds

Reaction score
AoA,
Not A because Aluminium has metallic bonding while Phosphorus has a simple molecular struture with covalent bonds and Van der Waals forces
Not B because chlorine is diatomic (covalent bonding) while argon is a noble gas : monoatomic
Not C because Mg has metallic bonding while Silicon has covalent bonds
It is D because both have molecular structure with covalent bonds

thank you . plz explain these too.. http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_qp_12.pdf
in Q6..shouldnt Y be higher as the peak increases when temp is reduced?
and plz explain Q 11, 19,23 as well!

Reaction score
Yes, sorry. My bad! Wrote that in a hurry. There were too many questions and very little time. The answer still stays the same because the important point is the dissolution of HCl in water :D
Well yeah hcl is important
NO, I WAS RIGHT. YOU CONFUSED ME, ALPHA :mad:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You do have a short temper :ROFLMAO: jk :D
Chill, Sicl4 dissolved in water can form: Sio2, Si[OH]4, H2SiO3, etc, And i got that from the past papers :LOL:

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
7 Which pair of elements have bonds of the same type between their atoms in the solid state?
A aluminium and phosphorus
B chlorine and argon
C magnesium and silicon
D sulphur and chlorine

why is the answer D and not A or B?
A wrong. Metallic - covalent
B wrong. Covalent - (mono atomic) or van der Waals
C wrong. metallic - covalent
D Right. Covalent - Covalent

Reaction score
A wrong. In Al -> Metallic bonds. Phosphorus Covalent
B wrong. Chlorine -> Covalent. Argon -> monoatomic. No bonds.
D Right. Sulphur -> Covalent . Chlorin -> Covalent
thanks. just see if you can help me with the other questions i"ve posted above. thanks again:)

Reaction score
In polymer there are many monomers so moles of the monomers will always decrease when they form a polymer ... So 1 (it wudnt remain the same) ... so when one is wrong answer will always be 'C' for these type of questions

Reaction score
Can someone please explain these paper 1 questions?
Q6 How is hydrogen more ideal than nitrogen?
Q11 How should this question be solved?
Q21 How does the compound have 5 double bonds. I counted 6(one in the side chain and 5 in the cyclohexene ring due to presense of just one hydrogen in it.)

Reaction score
only substances in the slowest step r der in the rate eqn... thus if a substance is not present in da slow step, the order will become 0 automatically...
for the other substances, see the no of molecules of that substance involved in the slow step... the order will be the same number...
for the first one for instance..
step 1 doesnt have H= so its order is 0.. and there is only one molecule each of H2O2 and I- thus the order with respect to these two will be 1..

for step 3... its slightly different... we need to see how many molecules of the substance have been used up before as well... if u look back, we already used 1 molecule of I- in step 1 n 1 is again used in step 3 hence the ordr will be 2 with respect to I-

Jaf

Reaction score
Moles of metallic salt that reacted = (50/1000) * 0.1 = 0.005
Moles of sodium sulphite that reacted = (25/1000) * 0.1 = 0.0025
Therefore, the metallic salt and sodium sulphite react in the ratio (2:1).

Moles of electrons produced when 0.0025 moles of the sulphite ions react = 0.005 (mole ratio is 1:2 from equation).
Therefore, the mole ration of electrons:metallic salt is 1:1. Hence, each metal gains one electron. So the oxidation number changes from +3 to +2. Answer is B.

Reaction score

mol of metalic salt n= cv

n= (0.10) . (0.050) = 0.0050
mol of sulphite n =cv

n= (0.10) . (0.025) = 0.0025

it has been given that 0.0050 mol of metal reacts with 0.0025 mol of sulphite mol ratio 2:1 metal/ sulphite

now when two electrons are released frm the sulphite's one mole.

only half of the released wil react with one mole of metal as shown above mol ratio 2:1

it has been given that the original oxidation no. of metal is +3 so when 1 elctron wil be added it wil be +2 !!!!

so it wil be the new oxidation no, i guess so B is to be the ans m i ryte??