• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Butan-2-ol can be dehydrated to either but-1-ene or but-2-ene and since there is restricted rotation in but-2-ene there is a chance that either cis or trans will be formed at the end of dehydration ,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why answer cant be C?
Because the products of dehydration of that molecule is 2-methylbut-1-ene and 2-methlybut-2-ene only 2 and yes there is a double bond but there can't be cis trans as there is no restricted rotation Around the double bond between the carbon atoms because In 2-methyl but-1-ene the carbon atom at position number 1 which is involved in the double bond have same atoms (hydrogen atoms ) and in 2-methyl but-2-end the carbon atom at position number 2 which is involved in the double bond have same group of atoms which is the methyl groups

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a way to solve moles past papers. I have a difficulty in the majority of the questions.

Reaction score
For CIE A level Chem, is there a simple way to remember when to use reflux when not to use? The mark schemes aren't very consistent...

Reaction score
Please please can somebody help me with this question of bond angles!
Please explain this because bond angles are so frustrating! !Screenshot_2015-10-27-19-37-59.png