• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
27 Which compound • is unaffected by hot alkaline potassium manganate(VII); • gives hydrogen when treated with sodium?

A (CH3)2CHCOCH3
B (CH3)3COH
C CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3
D CH3CO2CH(CH3)2

right answer is B ... but why not C? how is C affected bby KMnO4?
B is tertiary alcohol. It cant be oxidised.
C is secondary, so it will be oxidised to ketone.
Both B and C will react with Na metal as OH group is present in both. :)

Reaction score
View attachment 57490

how to go about questions like these?
You can use trial and error method or go like this :~
12211279_1691037021118363_132430058_o.jpg

Reaction score
Which question are u talking about?
Generally, i mean. They ask questions like why S02 is used as food preservative ... or why MgO is used for lining refractory kilns or sth ... so do you have like a list of things and it's uses that we can go through?

OH is a nucleophile, it will attack on aldehyde. (y) You can compare reaction with HCN :)
the OH group in the ethanol ... i see. Thank you.

Reaction score
Generally, i mean. They ask questions like why S02 is used as food preservative ... or why MgO is used for lining refractory kilns or sth ... so do you have like a list of things and it's uses that we can go through?

the OH group in the ethanol ... i see. Thank you.
No that was what my teacher made me learn in inorganic chemistry. :whistle: :p
some things are asked from IGCSE level.... (y)

Reaction score
I have relooked at the question and spotted my mistake.

The concentration of Fe2(SO4)3 is o.1 mol/dm3. But since we are using concentration of Fe3+ , we do need to multiply it by 2 as there are two Fe3+ ions for each Fe2(SO4)3.
Could you please show the equations as I'm slightly confused how you know there are two Fe3+ ions for each Fe2(SO4)3