• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Copper is oxidized by concentrated nitric acid, HNO3, to produce Cu2+ ions; the nitric acid is reduced to nitrogen dioxide, a poisonous brown gas with an irritating odor. The question says brown gas is formed :p so here i win.
What I'm saying is why can't it be this equation too:
NO3- + 2H+ + Cu = NO2 + H2O + Cu+
Here NO2 is also formed...

So can't it be either or equations?
---> 2NO3- + 4H+ + Cu = 2NO2 + 2H2O + Cu2+
---> NO3- + 2H+ + Cu = NO2 + H2O + Cu+
why can't we use Cu+ instead of Cu2+ ?
I think I got it
We can't use Cu+ because the voltage would give 0.29 and for a reaction to take place it should be greater than 0.30V
so Cu2+ should be used I guess...

Reaction score
in 2002 october november
An aqueous solution of iron(III) chloride is used to dissolve the excess of copper metal from printed-circuit boards
the mark scheme allowed both Cu2+ and Cu+ despite the voltage being less than 0.3 V ,when using Cu+ .

Reaction score
the idea of a reaction occurring if it's more than 0.3 V is if is under non-standard conditions. However, this was not mentioned in the question for nitric acid and copper

Reaction score
in 2002 october november
An aqueous solution of iron(III) chloride is used to dissolve the excess of copper metal from printed-circuit boards
the mark scheme allowed both Cu2+ and Cu+ despite the voltage being less than 0.3 V ,when using Cu+ .
Is this A2 stuff lol :p ? :3 I'm an A's student

Reaction score
in 2002 october november
Hmmm... Winter 13 they haven't allowed Cu+

Reaction score
the idea of a reaction occurring if it's more than 0.3 V is if is under non-standard conditions. However, this was not mentioned in the question for nitric acid and copper
upload_2016-1-1_19-55-22.png
This is the examiner report... they don't mention why Cu+ is technically incorrect though...

Reaction score
How to do question 2.a.ii
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s13_qp_41.pdf
Summer 13 P41
Is there any formula which says how to do it??
The ms is confusing and I can't see anything in text book :/
Metanoia
Someone please help!

To show that the reaction is first order with respect to the reactant in the y-axis. Draw lines to figure out the half-lives (duration for a concentration to drop to half its value).

The convenient ones I've chosen for this question is the time taken to drop from 0.2 M to o.1M, and time taken to drop from 0.1 M to 0.05 M.

For 1st order, the durationsScreen Shot 2016-01-02 at 8.52.50 AM.jpg should be the same.

Reaction score
To show that the reaction is first order with respect to the reactant in the y-axis. Draw lines to figure out the half-lives (duration for a concentration to drop to half its value).

The convenient ones I've chosen for this question is the time taken to drop from 0.2 M to o.1M, and time taken to drop from 0.1 M to 0.05 M.

For 1st order, the durationsView attachment 58655 should be the same.
Thanks!
And what about the next part? - part 2.a.iii
How to find the order wrt HCl?

Reaction score
Thanks!
And what about the next part? - part 2.a.iii
How to find the order wrt HCl?

You will need both graphs for this.

Draw the tangents to both graphs at time = 0

For example..

main-qimg-8d92731d2a185df2bacf518bf8b09ecd

If the gradient of tangent at double the concentration is TWICE the gradient of the other tangent; then its first order wrt to HCl.

Reaction score
You will need both graphs for this.

Draw the tangents to both graphs at time = 0

For example..

main-qimg-8d92731d2a185df2bacf518bf8b09ecd

If the gradient of tangent at double the concentration is TWICE the gradient of the other tangent; then its first order wrt to HCl.
Ok thanks!
can you give the formula for all orders using this method?
Like if it's twice then it's first order
then when is it zero and second order?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Am an AS student! I am done with the inorganic part of the book (ch1-ch13), so today I will start with the organic part, everyone is freaking about organic chemistry, so can you advice me on how to study this part of the book, inorder to be able to score a high A in my AS? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :love:
I am sorry if I made you feel OC is tough. XD You'll do great.In sha Allah.
One thing is just even though it may feel hard just keep going.You'll get the hang of it eventually.
Be sure to keep revising the mechanism,conditions and reagents.Keep reading them over and over again.
Solve past paper with patience.