• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 58131
25 a and b
I guess I know the answer, but I am not sure if I am 100% correct.
a) From all three Cr2+ has least positive E(std) value. Hence it needs the strongest reducing agent (more -ve E(std) value agent) to reduce it.
b) From all three Ag has most posivtive E(std) value. Hence it needs the strongest oxidising agent (more +ve E(std) value agent) to oxidise it.
M I corrct? If not then do correct me. Thanks.
Metanoia
DarkEclipse
Dark Destination
awesomaholic101
FranticAmaze
My Name
Didn't get the tag. :eek:
I think you're answers are right.
Doesn't the book have answers at the back?
awesomaholic101 FranticAmaze Midnight dream Lola_sweet What do you say?

Reaction score
View attachment 58131
25 a and b
I guess I know the answer, but I am not sure if I am 100% correct.
a) From all three Cr2+ has least positive E(std) value. Hence it needs the strongest reducing agent (more -ve E(std) value agent) to reduce it.
b) From all three Ag has most posivtive E(std) value. Hence it needs the strongest oxidising agent (more +ve E(std) value agent) to oxidise it.
M I corrct? If not then do correct me. Thanks.
Metanoia
DarkEclipse
Dark Destination
awesomaholic101
FranticAmaze
My Name

Yes. That is correct. You can also use O level chemistry to check your answer- in decreasing reactivity of metals, Chromium, Iron and Silver.

So the most stable ion is Cr2+ and the most stable metal is Ag.

They will require the strongest reducing agent and oxidizing agent respectively to under changes.

Reaction score
Anyone with the new 2016 coursebook, please can you tell me if High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) is given in the text book??
It's not in the syllabus so do I need it??

Reaction score
Yes. That is correct. You can also use O level chemistry to check your answer- in decreasing reactivity of metals, Chromium, Iron and Silver.

So the most stable ion is Cr2+ and the most stable metal is Ag.

They will require the strongest reducing agent and oxidizing agent respectively to under changes.
THanks.... :)

Reaction score
When concentrated nitric acid, HNO3, is added to copper turnings, a brown gas is evolved. Use data from the Data Booklet to construct an ionic equation for this reaction.
which equation of copper should i use and why ?

Reaction score
When concentrated nitric acid, HNO3, is added to copper turnings, a brown gas is evolved. Use data from the Data Booklet to construct an ionic equation for this reaction.
which equation of copper should i use and why ?
Well you should use this eq. :Cu + 4H+ + 2NO3– → Cu2+ + 2NO2 + 2H2O. Because it is ionic :3

Reaction score
Hmm yeah ... But can't you multiply the Cu+ eqn by 2 so to get 2e-?
Copper is oxidized by concentrated nitric acid, HNO3, to produce Cu2+ ions; the nitric acid is reduced to nitrogen dioxide, a poisonous brown gas with an irritating odor. The question says brown gas is formed :p so here i win.

Reaction score
Copper is oxidized by concentrated nitric acid, HNO3, to produce Cu2+ ions; the nitric acid is reduced to nitrogen dioxide, a poisonous brown gas with an irritating odor. The question says brown gas is formed :p so here i win.
What I'm saying is why can't it be this equation too:
NO3- + 2H+ + Cu = NO2 + H2O + Cu+
Here NO2 is also formed...

So can't it be either or equations?
---> 2NO3- + 4H+ + Cu = 2NO2 + 2H2O + Cu2+
---> NO3- + 2H+ + Cu = NO2 + H2O + Cu+