• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
0.1 moldm-3 solution of Fe2(SO4)3 (aq)
It will dissociate in water like this:
Fe2(SO4)3 (aq) <------> 2Fe3+ (aq) + 3SO42- (aq)
So the conc of Fe3+ ions is actually 0.2moldm-3

This will undergo hydrolysis with water, forming H+ ions as shown in the question.
So:
pH = -log(sqrt(Ka*[acid]))
Or whatever method you usually use, just make sure your conc of acid is 0.2

Reaction score
Yes that would be wrong. The other carbon atom is neutral because it is bonded to four atoms.
I think you misunderstood.
I meant that in the mark scheme they put the + sign on the carbon atom with one hydrogen atom. So the Br bonded to the carbon atom with two hydrogen atoms first.
My question is if i put the +sign on the carbon atom with two hydrogen atoms and bonded the Br to the carbon with one hydrogen atom first. Would that be wrong ?

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood.
I meant that in the mark scheme they put the + sign on the carbon atom with one hydrogen atom. So the Br bonded to the carbon atom with two hydrogen atoms first.
My question is if i put the +sign on the carbon atom with two hydrogen atoms and bonded the Br to the carbon with one hydrogen atom first. Would that be wrong ?
Oh I see. Well I'm not sure but I think order of bonding (which carbon bromine bonds to first) should not matter.
If it does then someone else should correct me :)

Reaction score
Capture.PNG
I understand that A and C are not correct but I am confused between B and C.......... When it comes to cyclic isomers, won't propene and butene both have them?
Can anyone help me out?
Thnx :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
q28.jpg

So I can understand that carvone is a ketone and 2-4 DNPH is a test for carbonyl group, but how will I know that what amount of molecules react with 2,4 DNPH??

Reaction score
I thought only the CH3 which is near to OH was the only chiral center, because it was the only one which was sp3 hybridizied and had four different groups attached but how is the answer D?? :(chiralcenters.jpg

Reaction score
View attachment 59772
I understand that A and C are not correct but I am confused between B and C.......... When it comes to cyclic isomers, won't propene and butene both have them?
Can anyone help me out?
Thnx :D
It can never be 6, because if you divide 6 Carbons into two molecules, each molecule will have 3 Carbons. You can't make any non-cyclic isomer out of propane. So 6 is not an option.

Reaction score
View attachment 59773

So I can understand that carvone is a ketone and 2-4 DNPH is a test for carbonyl group, but how will I know that what amount of molecules react with 2,4 DNPH??
upload_2016-3-23_10-17-46.png
After the reaction with Concentrated, Hot, KMnO4 you get a molecule as shown above.

There're 4 carbonyl groups. 1 molecule of 2,4 DNPH reacts with 1 carbonyl. As there're are 4 carbonyl groups, so you'll need 4 molecules of 2,4 DNPH.
2,4 DNPH reacts with a carbonyl group like this:
upload_2016-3-23_10-20-47.png

Reaction score
View attachment 59776
After the reaction with Concentrated, Hot, KMnO4 you get a molecule as shown above.

There're 4 carbonyl groups. 1 molecule of 2,4 DNPH reacts with 1 carbonyl. As there're are 4 carbonyl groups, so you'll need 4 molecules of 2,4 DNPH.
2,4 DNPH reacts with a carbonyl group like this:
View attachment 59777
wait, can you tell me which reaction was that when ketone reacted with potassium manganate solution?
why was carbondioxide produced? I don't remember reading about any such reaction?? :(