• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Does anyone have complete ORGANIC notes I lost mine :( I (need them for the MCQ exam because I forgot most of the reactions and important points)

I will be really grateful if someone shares their...
Try Z notes or chemguide there's plenty of notes on the internet <33:LOL::LOL:

Reaction score
Does anyone have complete ORGANIC notes I lost mine :( I (need them for the MCQ exam because I forgot most of the reactions and important points)

I will be really grateful if someone shares their...

There's notes by a dude called Daniel Lim if i remember correct he got 4A*s it seems and he posted his notes
I'll give you some links hope they help you,

http://daniellimjj.blogspot.com/2014/06/full-notes-for-cambridge-international.html
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechmenu.html
http://znotes.org/as-chemistry/

:oops::LOL:

Reaction score
The Answer for question 6 is D, 536kj mol, I suppose?

This is how I got it:

1. Write the equation down:

S8 + 8O2 ----------> 8 SO2

2. Write down the bond energies:

The Change in heat for the equation is -2376

The left side of the equation:
(2232) + (8 X 496)

The right side

let Y= S=O

SO, 8(2Y)

3. SOLVE!!:)
(2232)+(8 X 496) - (16Y) = -2376
Y = 536 :D:D:D

HOPE THE HELPS!!!

Reaction score
A sample of ethyl propanoate is hydrolysed by heating under reflux with aqueous sodium hydroxide. The two organic products of the hydrolysis are separated, purified and weighed. Out of the total mass of products obtained, what is the percentage by mass of each product?
A 32.4% and 67.6%
B 38.3% and 61.7%
C 42.3% and 57.7%
D 50.0% and 50.0%
answer is A
PLEASE HELP
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED

Reaction score
A sample of ethyl propanoate is hydrolysed by heating under reflux with aqueous sodium hydroxide. The two organic products of the hydrolysis are separated, purified and weighed. Out of the total mass of products obtained, what is the percentage by mass of each product?
A 32.4% and 67.6%
B 38.3% and 61.7%
C 42.3% and 57.7%
D 50.0% and 50.0%
answer is A
PLEASE HELP
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED
OHHHH This got me into a trap too!

SO basically You have to know that HYDROLYSIS OF ESTERS WITH NAOH ------> SODIUM SALT OF CARBOXYLLIC ACID + THE ALCOHOL

so make the equation : CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 + NAOH -------> CH3CH2COONA + CH3CH2OH

THEN assume you have one mole of ethyl ethanoate, so you will have 1 mole of all the products, the salt and the alcohol

multiply the moles with the MR of the products to find mass, you will get 96g of the salt and 46g of the alcohol

DON'T FORGET TO FIND TOTAL MASS WHICH IS 142G

THEN just find percentage by mass of total mass : { 46/142} X 100 = 32.4% and for the other one 67.6%

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU:D:D

Reaction score
Which compound contains two different elements with identical oxidation states?
A HCl O B Mg(OH)2 C Na2SO4 D NH4Cl
someone please help

Reaction score
OHHHH This got me into a trap too!

SO basically You have to know that HYDROLYSIS OF ESTERS WITH NAOH ------> SODIUM SALT OF CARBOXYLLIC ACID + THE ALCOHOL

so make the equation : CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 + NAOH -------> CH3CH2COONA + CH3CH2OH

THEN assume you have one mole of ethyl ethanoate, so you will have 1 mole of all the products, the salt and the alcohol

multiply the moles with the MR of the products to find mass, you will get 96g of the salt and 46g of the alcohol

DON'T FORGET TO FIND TOTAL MASS WHICH IS 142G

THEN just find percentage by mass of total mass : { 46/142} X 100 = 32.4% and for the other one 67.6%

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU:D:D

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS HELP :p;):):):)

Reaction score
Which compound contains two different elements with identical oxidation states?
A HCl O B Mg(OH)2 C Na2SO4 D NH4Cl
someone please help
A is the answer as H + and Cl + and O 2- (overall 0 so this is correct )
Mg +2 OH - (wrong)
Na + So4 -2 (wrong)
NH4+ Cl - (wrong)

Reaction score
Well, lets look upon (D) first, shall we?
Now when the tap B is open, what will happen is pressure decreases as well as N2 concerntration decreases cos Li+N2 will occur. Position of equilibrium shifts to the left, causing % of NH3 to decrease. (D) is wrong.
Looking upon (C)
When A is open, pressure decreases, yield of ammonia decreases as position of equilibrium shifts to the left.
Looking upon (B)
When both are open, oh my god, the pressure will be even lower,....
Looking upon (A)
Now this is the answer. This is because pressure is higher so position of equilibrium is shifted to RHS so % of ammonia increases

Reaction score
Reaction score
BTW
volume of M = V
volume of N = 3 V.
Total volume = 4V.
P1V1=P2V2.
(1 x 10^5)(V)=P2(4V)
P2 = 25000 Pa

Change in temp ; 20 to 100 degree Celsius.
New pressure P2/T1=P3/T2.
25000/293=P3/373
Hence, P3 is 3.18 x 10^4 Pa.
BTW there is an easier way.

USE this : [P1V1]/T1 = [P2V2]/T2 and put in the values you put in. Much quicker and less hassle!

hope this helped you:)

Reaction score
The answer should be C.
This is because of the Markonokov addition principle of alkenes. It states that when a H-X (where X can be any halogen) reacts with an alkene, the X shoould go and bond with the carbon containg more alkyl groups attatched to it. This can be seen in the mechanism. During the mechanism, a carbo cation is formed which makes it relatively unstable, so to make it stable, the H should go and bond with the carbon containg lower alkyl groups to make more alkyl groups bonded to the carbocation which will reduce the charge density of it and hence, finally, making it stabiluzed.