• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
For biii) why do we divide the moles we got in bii) with 3?
From 1 mole of acid we are getting 1 mole of SO2 and 1 mole of HCl. For 1 mol of SO2, 2 moles of NaOH and for 1 mole of HCl 1 mole of SO2 is required. Therefore, to neutralize the products of 1 mole of acid, 3 moles of NaOH are required. Now apply simple ratio to get the answer :)

Reaction score
Can anyone tell what are the question that examiner in p4 usually asks about chromatography except RF and circling.

Reaction score
These structures look so ugly....and how are we even supposed to know thattt -_-
A condensation reaction occurs, so naturally if we have the same number of carbons as before, it's like a self condensing reaction so I suppose that's how the ring came to be.

"Ethanoyl chloride reacts violently with a cold concentrated solution of ethylamine." To quote

As for the second part, LiAlH4 is a strong reducing agent as it isn't in dry ether so the c=o becomes ch2. FYI RCO2H and LiAlH4 gives an alcohol but Carbonyl groups give the alkane right away with this.

Reaction score
A condensation reaction occurs, so naturally if we have the same number of carbons as before, it's like a self condensing reaction so I suppose that's how the ring came to be.

"Ethanoyl chloride reacts violently with a cold concentrated solution of ethylamine." To quote

As for the second part, LiAlH4 is a strong reducing agent as it isn't in dry ether so the c=o becomes ch2. FYI RCO2H and LiAlH4 gives an alcohol but Carbonyl groups give the alkane right away with this.

Thank you so muchhh

Reaction score

Thanks

Reaction score

Just a small correction, Alcohol is not produced because the amide group is being reduced, not a carobnyl

Reaction score
Does any know the reason why incoming groups cannot be directed to 3 because of Methyl??

Reaction score
Does any know the reason why incoming groups cannot be directed to 3 because of Methyl??
I wrote that methyl is electron donating so other intermediates were more stable as the + charge was directly placed on the C atom next to methyl