• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
When reacted with a small quantity of water, SiCl4 produces an oxychloride X, SixClyOz.
The mass spectrum of X shows peaks at mass numbers of 133, 149, 247, 263 and 396.
(You should assume that the species responsible for all these peaks contain the
16O, the 35Cl and the 28Si isotopes only.)
(i) Use these data to deduce the molecular formula of X

This is from j10,p42, Q3d.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Interna ... _qp_42.pdf

It would be tedious to find it one by one just to reach the value 396. Is there any simple method to solve this question?

Reaction score
AAestar said:
When reacted with a small quantity of water, SiCl4 produces an oxychloride X, SixClyOz.
The mass spectrum of X shows peaks at mass numbers of 133, 149, 247, 263 and 396.
(You should assume that the species responsible for all these peaks contain the
16O, the 35Cl and the 28Si isotopes only.)
(i) Use these data to deduce the molecular formula of X

This is from j10,p42, Q3d.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Interna ... _qp_42.pdf

It would be tedious to find it one by one just to reach the value 396. Is there any simple method to solve this question?
You have to find the fragments formulae in part ii so why not do it in part i and make your life easier? That way you will be able to part i quickly and because you have already calculated fragments formulae in part i you just have to copy them in part ii,

Reaction score
Re: help in chemistry questions...

abcd888 said:
1. Hydrogen bonding can occur between molecules of methanol, HCHO, and molecules of liquid Y. What could liquid Y be? A. CH3OH B. CH3CHO, C. CH3COCH3 D. CH3CO2CH3

2. which solid exhibits more than one kind of chemical bonding? A. brass B. copper. C.diamond D. metallic

3. which compound has boiling pint which is influenced by hydrogen bonding? A. CH3CHO B. CH3OCH3 C. HCO2H D. HCO2CH3

4. Describe the bonding present in: Solid Krypton Kr and Solid Rubidium Rb

5. HCN reacts with ethanol, CH3CHO. Give the displayed formula of the organic product formed. and what type of reaction is this?

Please also explain

methanol is CH3OH. you have written the formula of methanal HCHO. Confirm which one is in the question. Same goes for part 5, ethanol is CH3CH2OH. You have written ethanal CH3CHO. Confirm these and all the other parts.

Reaction score
Which of the enthalpy changes of the following reactions can only be obtained by application of
Hess’ Law?
1 The hydration of anhydrous copper sulphate to form crystals of CuSO4.5H2O.
2 The formation of methane from its elements.
3 The combustion of glucose, C6H12O6.
can u plz help with this one ?

Reaction score
babycry said:
Which of the enthalpy changes of the following reactions can only be obtained by application of
Hess’ Law?

2 and 3 are correct.

Reaction score
melly713 said:
Hey someone please help with w05 qp 2 question
1 (c)..I dnt understand why d markscheme has sharp rise in
Ionisation energy between 5th and 6th I.e shouldn't it
Be drastic increase between each I.e like from 1st to 2nd and then from
2nd to 3rd I.e etc instead ?thanx.

Your concept of successive ionistation energies is probably not correct. There is a sharp rise in ionisation energy when the shell number or the quantum number changes, and the difference b/w 5 and 6 is quite large to show that 6th I.E is of an electron from the next shell. So this atom has 5 outer shell electrons, and hence it is in group 5.
The changes in successive I.E from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third, that you are talking about, are the normal increase in I.E as one electron has already been removed.

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
babycry said:
Hess’ Law?

2 and 3 are correct.

you are wrong.. 1 and 2 are correct :D its because when hydrating the CuSO4, not all the CuSO4 dissolves, so its not 100% correct.

2 is correct because The reaction 4C + 2H2 is not possible so we can only use Hess's Law

3 is wrong because we can completely burn 1 mol of glucose and measure the enthalpy changes..

:D:D

Reaction score
helloo
um...how do u guys keep such a peaked interest in chemistry? I've this problem with chemistry and physics. Figured it wud be better if i asked this question in a thread where the chem people will visit most! i've a serious problem with electrochemistry :unknown: how do i get this concept in my head?

Reaction score
anahita16 said:
helloo
um...how do u guys keep such a peaked interest in chemistry? I've this problem with chemistry and physics. Figured it wud be better if i asked this question in a thread where the chem people will visit most! i've a serious problem with electrochemistry :unknown: how do i get this concept in my head?

Keep referring your book until you clear a certain topic. If you cannot understand from the book, target internet resources. After you are through with all the chapters, practise all the past papers.

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
So if you know the answer and the explanation, why would you ask? :O

I asked then I checked my Chemistry MCQ book which helped me out.. thanks for the reply man.. i really appreciate it

eid mubarak by the way :)

Reaction score
Hey guys. Is there a list somewhere that states which complex ion colours we are supposed to memorise and which we can ignore? There are literally dozens and if I remembered correctly, Cambridge never stated we had to memorise all of them.

Reaction score
How do we identify which E cell equation to use? Some, for example Fe, has 3 E cell equations.Which one should i choose? Depending on what type of criteria?

Reaction score
dsowner said:
Hey guys. Is there a list somewhere that states which complex ion colours we are supposed to memorise and which we can ignore? There are literally dozens and if I remembered correctly, Cambridge never stated we had to memorise all of them.

if you are in A2, then u only need to memorise for copper.

Reaction score
AAestar said:
How do we identify which E cell equation to use? Some, for example Fe, has 3 E cell equations.Which one should i choose? Depending on what type of criteria?
it depends on the question.

Reaction score
are these the only topics to be revised for p4? or should i revise the whole bunch of topics found in syllabus??