• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
thn
So the balanced equation for the reaction is N2 + 3H2 ==} 2NH3
If 96 kg of H2 was left at equilibrium that means (120-96= 24 kg) 24 kg of H2 reacted.

So according to equation 3 mol of H2 : 2 mol of NH3
6 g : 34 g
0.006 kg : 0.034 kg
24 kg : (24 multiplied by 0.034/0.006)
= 136 kg. answer is C.
thnx very much

Reaction score
october november 2011 paper 12 question 26
help plsssssssssssssssssss

the answer can be found by different ways,there is even a formula to solve this,but I prefer it solving by my calculating...
no of moles of ethanol=2.3/46
=0.05 moles of ethanol
now as the question has stated that the yield of the product was 70% which means 70% of the moles of ethanol was converted into product
i.e...no moles of product form = 70% of 0.05
=0.035 moles of product was formed
The question has mentioned gentle heating which means it is obvious that the product form is ethanal...

Mr 0f ethanal=44
so amount of product form = 44 * 0.035 !!

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation guys. If you don't mind, could you explain the following MCQs in this paper: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w07_qp_1.pdf

Q37: Why isn't 3 right? NDH3Cl should be the same as NH4Cl and to my knowledge, that should liberate NH3. And how is 2 right?
Q30: I'm not getting any of the options here..
Q9 and Q5 as well.

Thanks in advance. :)
For 5, the ans is A...
Bcoz hydrogen bonding takes place btw polar molecules, n of the 4, methanol ie an alcohol is the most polar...
thus hydrogen bonding will take place wth it

Polarity Ranking of the Functional Groups:
(most polar first)

Amide > Acid > Alcohol > Ketone ~ Aldehyde > Amine > Ester > Ether > Alkane
Hope i helped!

Reaction score
For 5, the ans is A...
Bcoz hydrogen bonding takes place btw polar molecules, n of the 4, methanol ie an alcohol is the most polar...
thus hydrogen bonding will take place wth it

Hope i helped!
Oh, okay. So if there was no alcohol in one of the options, then the hydrogen bonding with the ketone (option C) because that would be the most polar instead?

Reaction score
Ketones have hydrogen bonding? i thought dey dont cuz O is not attatched to an electronegative element... can u pls clear my confusion? :)
thanks in advance :)
well, they r polar, right?? check this out..
The carbonyl group is polar as a consequence of the fact that the electronegativity of the oxygen center is greater than that for carbonyl carbon. Thus, ketones are nucleophilic at oxygen andelectrophilic at carbon. Because the carbonyl group interacts with water by hydrogen bonding, ketones are typically more soluble in water than the related methylene compounds

Reaction score
well, they r polar, right?? check this out..
well... dey are POLAR dat doesn't mean dey have hydrogen bonding.... as far as i understand, hydrogen bonding occurs only in substances where O is attatched to an electonegative element lyk Oxygen...

Reaction score
well... dey are POLAR dat doesn't mean dey have hydrogen bonding.... as far as i understand, hydrogen bonding occurs only in substances where O is attatched to an electonegative element lyk Oxygen...
sorry..whr O is attached to oxygen??

Reaction score
sorry.... ma bad! i meant H attatched to an electronegative elemnt like O
really sorry! :oops:
oh...yeah i know tht..but rd this..
The carbonyl group is polar as a consequence of the fact that the electronegativity of the oxygen center is greater than that for carbonyl carbon. Thus, ketones are nucleophilic at oxygen andelectrophilic at carbon. Because the carbonyl group interacts with water by hydrogen bonding, ketones are typically more soluble in water than the related methylene compounds. Ketones are hydrogen-bond acceptors. Ketones are not usually hydrogen-bond donors and cannot hydrogen-bond to itself

Reaction score
The carbonyl group is polar as a consequence of the fact that the electronegativity of the oxygen center is greater than that for carbonyl carbon. Thus, ketones are nucleophilic at oxygen andelectrophilic at carbon. Because the carbonyl group interacts with water by hydrogen bonding, ketones are typically more soluble in water than the related methylene compounds. Ketones are hydrogen-bond acceptors. Ketones are not usually hydrogen-bond donors and cannot hydrogen-bond to itself
So doesnt ths mean tht although a ketone cnt hydrogen bond wth itself, it can wth othrs??

Reaction score
ohkay.... so it can hydrogen bond wid water but not wid itself? is dat ryt?
THANX A LOT! :,)