• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Check out this thread:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/chemo-p5-tips.5917/
There's some notes and stuff in it that should prove useful. ^_^

Also, remember that paper 5 counts as 12% of your overall grade and paper 2 is 23%, so you need to make sure you really do your best in papers 2 and 4 as these are the ones that carry the highest weight-age. Hopefully, this way, you'll be able to make up for getting a lower grade in paper 5.

Hope I helped a little. :)
Thaaaankyooooooooooooooooou!!! :')
So if I messed up p1 ,and get good grades in p2 and p4 and p5 - can I get an overall A ?

Reaction score
Thaaaankyooooooooooooooooou!!! :')
So if I messed up p1 ,and get good grades in p2 and p4 and p5 - can I get an overall A ?

No prob. ^_^

Yea, you should be able to, just make sure you do your best in 'em! I messed up my paper 1 and paper 3 last year but I still managed an overall A in AS chemistry. I'd say you need to be aiming for fairly high marks in papers 2 and 4. Best of luck, insh'Allah we all get amazing grades and I hope paper 5 is easy tomorrow because I am not at all prepared for it. :s

Reaction score
No prob. ^_^

Yea, you should be able to, just make sure you do your best in 'em! I messed up my paper 1 and paper 3 last year but I still managed an overall A in AS chemistry. I'd say you need to be aiming for fairly high marks in papers 2 and 4. Best of luck, insh'Allah we all get amazing grades and I hope paper 5 is easy tomorrow because I am not at all prepared for it. :s
Oh wow really?
thankyou,that gives me hope :D

Yeah,InshaAllah.
No chance of screwing up now.
Yeeah I hope so too,cos lol im not prepared for it either :p

Reaction score
can someone summerise all te rules how to find chiral molecule, please ? :)

Reaction score
can anyone explain me how to find moles in equilbrium ?? they ask us to fin intial moles at equilbrium moles finall moles

Reaction score
M/J/09 Paper 5. Q2, b
The graph. What will be the shape of the graph. They clearly say they have to be two lines.
The points plotted seem like a Cumulative Frequency curve....

Reaction score
can someone summerise all te rules how to find chiral molecule, please ? :)
Once you find a carbon atom that is connected to four groups different from each other, that carbon atom is a chiral centre.
Carbon connected to only three or even two groups cannot be a chiral centre.
In a moderately complex molecule, there could be more than one chiral centre. :)

Reaction score
how does the increase in the solubility with the temperature of a reaction make the reaction exothermic???

Reaction score
can anyone explain me how to find moles in equilbrium ?? they ask us to fin intial moles at equilbrium moles finall moles
theyll most probably give the KC too.....so u equate the concentration to KC and find x.....then substitute x in your concentraions for the reactants and products and youll get your moles at equilibrium. hope u get it............it will be easier to explain if you gave the values.....;)

Reaction score
theyll most probably give the KC too.....so u equate the concentration to KC and find x.....then substitute x in your concentraions for the reactants and products and youll get your moles at equilibrium. hope u get it............it will be easier to explain if you gave the values.....;)
i am still confuse

Reaction score
Can anyone pleaseeeeee help me? Please tell me where can i read about purification of copper? I dont have nay notes on this!:(:cry:

Reaction score
Oh wow really?
thankyou,that gives me hope :D

Yeah,InshaAllah.
No chance of screwing up now.
Yeeah I hope so too,cos lol im not prepared for it either :p

Aha, yea, really! xD But I did really well in paper 2. I still remember how, after the practical, I was convinced I'd end up getting a C or something because it'd gone so awful. :s

Let me know how it goes tomorrow, hopefully we'll both be pleased. :)

Jaf

Reaction score
Can anyone pleaseeeeee help me? Please tell me where can i read about purification of copper? I dont have nay notes on this!:(:cry:
Nothing much to it, really. The anode is made of impure copper, the cathode is made of pure copper. The electrolyte is aqueous copper sulfate. After some time the cathode gets bigger in size/heavier in mass because copper was deposited on the cathode.
This reaction happens at the anode:
Cu -----> Cu(2+) + 2e-

This is what happens at the cathode:
Cu(2+) + 2e- -----> Cu

Often, 'slag' will form in the container at the bottom. This will be the 'impurity' and may contain other metals, etc.

That's it!

Jaf

Reaction score
Good luck everyone!! I'm out. :D

I'm doing 31 tomorrow so PM me later tomorrow whoever wants to discuss the paper. :p

Reaction score
write the equation of the reaction first.....in a situation u will be given initial and final moles of a reactant or the product or change in moles in reactant or product... if u are given change in moles than do stoichometery from ratios(from the equation) to find the moles at equlibrium...

Reaction score
Once you find a carbon atom that is connected to four groups different from each other, that carbon atom is a chiral centre.
Carbon connected to only three or even two groups cannot be a chiral centre.
In a moderately complex molecule, there could be more than one chiral centre. :)[/
Does it have to do anything with d+ and d- ...
and when calculating enthaply change for example in reaction : Ca(s) + 2H2O(l) = Ca(OH)2 (aq) + H2 (g) and u r given Q, which moles do u take from Ca or H2O ?? :D Thanks so much