• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
well for the first
1)H2SO4 is the stronger acid then ethanoic acid hence it will proceed a more rapid reaction having higher temprature
2) acording to balanced equation we need 2 moles of ethanoic acid while one mole of sulphuric acid to produce one mole of hydrogen gas and since equal amount of reactants used it will have higher amount of H2 during and after reaction

Reaction score
well for the first
1)H2SO4 is the stronger acid then ethanoic acid hence it will proceed a more rapid reaction having higher temprature
2) acording to balanced equation we need 2 moles of ethanoic acid while one mole of sulphuric acid to produce one mole of hydrogen gas and since equal amount of reactants used it will have higher amount of H2 during and after reaction

OH wow,now Im going to write everything ! Im tired of these stupid errors :p

Reaction score
Asalam-o-Alaikum!
can anyone please help me with these
questions? http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_11.pdf
Questions: 9, 21, 26 and 28
thanks a lot..!
26 is C??
look first sibgle out the aldeydes because Tollen's test is positive in aldehydes only NOT in ketones.. :
W => 2 funtional groups ketone and alcohol so not this
X => although X has a ketone group it also has an aldehyde group at the right end so it is good to go
Y=> does not have an aldehyde group
Z => has an aldehyde group at the right end

so we narowed it down to X and Z. Both of these can be oxidised by Maganate ion so they both fit the conditions. hence the answer C.

I hope i'm right :p :cautious:

Reaction score
26 is C??
look first sibgle out the aldeydes because Tollen's test is positive in aldehydes only NOT in ketones.. :
X => although X has a ketone group it also has an aldehyde group at the right end so it is good to go

so we narowed it down to X and Z. Both of these can be oxidised by Maganate ion so they both fit the conditions. hence the answer C.

ooh yes Alhamdullilah I got it now...yup the answer's "C". (y) thanks a bunch!
couldn't get the others ..... tag me in the answers wen u get em plz ^_^
best of luck for ur papers :)
okay no problem, sure will. thanks, you too! :)

Reaction score
sorry :p its may june 2009 22 Q3 D ii
lets say that at equilibrium CO2 and H2 will both lose "x" amount of moles which means that CO and H2O will gain x amount of moles so kc will be

kc = [H2O][CO]/[CO2][H2] it is given that kc is 1.44 so
1.44 = (0.2+x)(0.2+x)/(0.5-x)(0.5-x)
1.44(0.5-x)^2 = (0.2+x)^2

find x then use it to calculate the amount of moles of co2, co h2 and h20 at equilibrium..got it ?

Reaction score
lets say that at equilibrium CO2 and H2 will both lose "x" amount of moles which means that CO and H2O will gain x amount of moles so kc will be

kc = [H2O][CO]/[CO2][H2] it is given that kc is 1.44 so
1.44 = (0.2+x)(0.2+x)/(0.5-x)(0.5-x)
1.44(0.5-x)^2 = (0.2+x)^2

find x then use it to calculate the amount of moles of co2, co h2 and h20 at equilibrium..got it ?
thank you (y)

Reaction score
26 is C??

Asalam-o-Alaikum!
can anyone please help me with these
questions? http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_11.pdf
Questions: 9, 21, 26 and 28
thanks a lot..!

#9) idk :p

#21) organic compounds that react with sodium are either carbonal acids or alcohols ... organic ion with a charge of -3 means that there are 3 charged group or in other words three groups in the compound that could react , j reacts with NaOH to give a compound with charge -1 meaning that 2 of the charged groups will react the other wont .. thus it should have 2 acid groups and 1 alcohol group which wont react with NaOH answer=C

#26) compounds that could be oxidised by acidified dichromate are alcohols,ketones & aldehydes .. but then only aldehydes give a positive result with tollen's so the compounds should contain both alcohol aldehyde .. the only answer which works is C

#28) the graph shows a reaction that is done in 2 steps & is exothermic the only one which fits is B which is SN2 reaction

Reaction score
Asalamo Alaikum!:)

I came aross this line in the mark scheme for P5 --

Candidate draws a straight line which passes through (0,0) or would pass through (0,0) if extrapolated

Could anyone clarify what this means?