• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
How to calculate enthalpy change of a reaction when enthalpy change of formation or combustions r given??? is it enthalpy change of (products- reactants ) or is it the other way round??? can any1 explain me in details??? littlecloud11

Reaction score
When drawing optical isomers, do we attach the groups to the C anywhere we like?? or is there sum other rule, like the heavier one shud b at the top?? iKhaled or littlecloud11
no anywhere u like it doesn't matter but dont forget if it asks u to show it displayed then u must show the bonds in CN and any functional group and u have to draw it in a 3D..i will look at the enthalpy question now for u

Reaction score
How to calculate enthalpy change of a reaction when enthalpy change of formation or combustions r given??? is it enthalpy change of (products- reactants ) or is it the other way round??? can any1 explain me in details??? littlecloud11

When you have enthalpy of formation or combustion given it's not always enthalpy change of product- reactant. It's best if you draw the Hess's cycle and use the direction of arrows for your calculation. That way you'll never go wrong.

Untitled.jpg
Here, for the enthalpy change of reaction it's the enthalpy change of formation of product (CH4) - the enthalpy change of formation of reactant (CO2)

Untitled2.jpg

Here, the enthalpy change of reaction is the = the enthalpy change of combustion of the reactants - the enthalpy change of combustion of products.

So you see, this is case specific. I would suggest you draw a fully labeled cycle before attempting to make calculations.

Reaction score
for 3ai and these type of questions u need to draw a cycle that will help u to determine the enthalpy change from the given values like this one for example
to find H use vectors..like go against the left vector so u have to minus it then go with the right vector so u add it..did u get it ? i can explain more if u couldn't get a part of what i said

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
When you have enthalpy of formation or combustion given it's not always enthalpy change of product- reactant. It's best if you draw the Hess's cycle and use the direction of arrows for your calculation. That way you'll never go wrong.

View attachment 24753
Here, for the enthalpy change of reaction it's the enthalpy change of formation of product (CH4) - the enthalpy change of formation of reactant (CO2)

View attachment 24752

Here, the enthalpy change of reaction is the = the enthalpy change of combustion of the reactants - the enthalpy change of combustion of products.

So you see, this is case specific. I would suggest you draw a fully labeled cycle before attempting to make calculations.
Thankyou soooooooo much.... u've made this very easy for me:D

Reaction score
for 3ai and these type of questions u need to draw a cycle that will help u to determine the enthalpy change from the given values like this one for example
to find H use vectors..like go against the left vector so u have to minus it then go with the right vector so u add it..did u get it ? i can explain more if u couldn't get a part of what i said
May Allah bless u with good grades!!!! Thanks i got it, i thot we had to use formulas for this

Reaction score
do u have to draw the carboxylic acid group in skeletal formula too or we can just add co2h ?

We need to show everything attached to the chain so yeah =O would be different than -OH.. except for the C-H bonds.. and the vertices on the chain are C atoms..

Reaction score
Define dynamic equilibrium and reversible reaction.
Dynamic equilibrium:
A reversible reaction in which the rate of forward reaction is equal to the rate of backward reaction in a closed system, and there is no change in the concentration of reactants and products.

Reversible reaction:
A reaction that does not go to completion as the the reactants react to give products, which in turn react to form the inital reactants again.

Reaction score
Dynamic equilibrium:
A reversible reaction in which the rate of forward reaction is equal to the rate of backward reaction in a closed system, and there is no change in the concentration of reactants and products.

Reversible reaction:
A reaction that does not go to completion as the the reactants react to give products, which in turn react to form the inital reactants again.
Exactly what I wanted, Jazaka Allah Khairan!! Thanks aloot!!
May Allah S.W.T make the exam easy for you and all of us Aameen. May Allah S.W.T have mercy on you and your family.! Aameen.

Reaction score
Exactly what I wanted, Jazaka Allah Khairan!! Thanks aloot!!
May Allah S.W.T make the exam easy for you and all of us Aameen. May Allah S.W.T have mercy on you and your family.! Aameen.

Your Duaa made my day.
You're welcome :)

Reaction score
I want exact definitions of relative atomic, isotopic, molecular and formula
masses, based on the 12C scale the way is should be answered ASAP! Thanks in advance