• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
ASSLAMU ALAYKUM WA RA7MATULLAH!!!

NOTE: THE CHEMISTRY APPLICATIONS BOOKLET SUCKS BIG TIME AND HAS BEEN PROVEN SO BY THE CHEM GUIDE SITE. PLEASE REFER TO THAT SITE FOR THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS AFTER ORGANIC BECAUSE IT IS PRECISELY TO THE POINT AND ACCORDING THE CURRENT SYLLABUS. THE MORE MISTAKES THE GUY POINTS OUT, THE CLOSER I GET TO HAVING A STROKE. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT!!!
Thank you.
May Allah Help us lead the path of Righteousness:)

Reaction score
But why do we take the highest and lowest values?
Thank you.
see in order for a reaction to occur the difference between the electrode potential of the two should be higher than 0.30v..if the value of the difference is below 0.3 a reaction may or may not occur but it will be impossible to notice so better to take the lowest one and the highest one. if we took the first 2 the top equation will go in the right direction and the second equation will go in the backward direction which means we will not have a nitrogen containing product at the end of the reaction. if we took the last 2 the difference in the electrode potential value is way less than 0.3v and also notice that the second equation will go in the backward direction and the third(last) equation will go in the forward direction which means both HNO3 from each reaction will cancel out just like how we cancel electrons so the best 2 to use is the top one and the bottom one because they have a value higher than 0.3 and also u r sure of having a nitrogen containing product at the end of the reaction.

i hope u do got it!

Reaction score
see in order for a reaction to occur the difference between the electrode potential of the two should be higher than 0.30v..if the value of the difference is below 0.3 a reaction may or may not occur but it will be impossible to notice so better to take the lowest one and the highest one. if we took the first 2 the top equation will go in the right direction and the second equation will go in the backward direction which means we will not have a nitrogen containing product at the end of the reaction. if we took the last 2 the difference in the electrode potential value is way less than 0.3v and also notice that the second equation will go in the backward direction and the third(last) equation will go in the forward direction which means both HNO3 from each reaction will cancel out just like how we cancel electrons so the best 2 to use is the top one and the bottom one because they have a value higher than 0.3 and also u r sure of having a nitrogen containing product at the end of the reaction.

i hope u do got it!
i am mistaken above in the part of the first 2 equations. if u used equation one and 2 a reaction will take place too and u will get a nitrogen containing product..but u can't take equation 2 and 3 since the nitrogen product will cancel each other and also the value of their electrode potential difference is waaayyy less than 0.3v. its recommended that u try to make the difference of the 2 electrode potential as high as u can thats why reaction one and 3 is the best to take but taking reaction one and 2 has no problem too.

Reaction score
i am mistaken above in the part of the first 2 equations. if u used equation one and 2 a reaction will take place too and u will get a nitrogen containing product..but u can't take equation 2 and 3 since the nitrogen product will cancel each other and also the value of their electrode potential difference is waaayyy less than 0.3v. its recommended that u try to make the difference of the 2 electrode potential as high as u can thats why reaction one and 3 is the best to take but taking reaction one and 2 has no problem too.
Thank you so, so much. That was probably the best explanation I could have gotten. Thanks once again. (y)

Reaction score
I am new to this site..can anyone tell me where do we go to login? That login tray just pops in any time and i have to wait for its arrival...!.

Nd where to we go to post questions?

n can i get a complete list of resources for this coming up cambridge igcse examination in oct/nov?

m sorry 2 whoevr if m posting dis in d wrong place...

Reaction score
I am new to this site..can anyone tell me where do we go to login? That login tray just pops in any time and i have to wait for its arrival...!.

Nd where to we go to post questions?

n can i get a complete list of resources for this coming up cambridge igcse examination in oct/nov?

m sorry 2 whoevr if m posting dis in d wrong place...
it's quite simple, when you just type http://www.xtremepapers.com/community

Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 1.03.46 PM.png

this is a screenshot of the page, then you just tap on the log in or sign up, and you can put in your username and password

you get pst papers, and other resources by tapping on the home button, that's towards the left of the screenshot,
or you can just type in the search box on the right, for whatever you require.

For more help, you just go to the help forums: https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/forums/help-ideas-suggestions.4/

:)

PS: sorry to the mods for going off topic, just helping out a newbie :)