• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Two moles of compound P were placed in a vessel. The compound P was partly decomposed by heating. A dynamic equilibrium between chemicals P, Q and R was established.
At equilibrium, x mol of R were present and the total number of moles present was (2 + x).
What is the equation for this equilibrium?
A P 2Q + R
B 2P 2Q + R
C 2P Q + R
D 2P Q + 2R
I need help in this question as well !
You'll have to draw an ICE chart for the equations in A, B, C and D. Here's the one for B:
OhYQ0xl.jpg

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions I don't really understand, could anybody help? :)

View attachment 28870
View attachment 28871
View attachment 28872
View attachment 28873
View attachment 28875

That's not a couple!
Anyway, for the first: you're taking the Kc for the reverse reaction, so you'll take the reciprocal of the forward reaction. Then, look at reaction II, and you'll see that all the moles have been divided by 2. Therefore you take the square root of the reciprocal of the Kc.
The second: AlCl3 is entirely covalent. MgCl2 is very slightly acidic in solution, so it is covalent to a limited degree.
The 3rd: Ammonium compounds give off ammonia when reacted with a base. You have to recognise D to be ammonium nitrate: NH4NO3. They've just jumbled the atoms in the compound.
The 4th: Perhaps it'll help if you point out which option (1/2/3) you're having trouble with.
5th: Don't look at the 2D shape. Count the bond pairs and lone pairs and write down the angles.

Reaction score
Reaction score
That's not a couple!
Anyway, for the first: you're taking the Kc for the reverse reaction, so you'll take the reciprocal of the forward reaction. Then, look at reaction II, and you'll see that all the moles have been divided by 2. Therefore you take the square root of the reciprocal of the Kc.
The second: AlCl3 is entirely covalent. MgCl2 is very slightly acidic in solution, so it is covalent to a limited degree.
The 3rd: Ammonium compounds give off ammonia when reacted with a base. You have to recognise D to be ammonium nitrate: NH4NO3. They've just jumbled the atoms in the compound.
The 4th: Perhaps it'll help if you point out which option (1/2/3) you're having trouble with.
5th: Don't look at the 2D shape. Count the bond pairs and lone pairs and write down the angles.

Thanks for answering all those questions! My main problem in the fourth question is that I don't understand how it can produce two alkenes? I understood the third option though.

Reaction score
وعليكم السلام
7 and 11:
Draw ICE charts, i.e. initial moles, change in moles and equilibrium moles, for ALL the options (A, B, C and D). Then see which one has x + 2/x for its final moles.
For example, 7 D:
s4J2eot.jpg

We divide the equilibrium moles by 2 because the question says that the final moles of R are x, so we need to make the final moles of R = x.

Jazak Allah Khayr!

Reaction score
Thanks for answering all those questions! My main problem in the fourth question is that I don't understand how it can produce two alkenes? I understood the third option though.

When an alcohol is dehydrated, the -OH is eliminated and an H atom from a neighbouring C atom.
pKM964r.jpg

Reaction score
When you write the equation for the decomposition of a Group II metal nitrate, you see that the mole ratio of the metal nitrate to the metal oxide is 1:1. So n(nitrate)=n(oxide). You have the mass of the nitrate and you can find the mass of the oxide (mass of nitrate minus mass of gases). You can calculate the molecular mass of Group II metal nitrate and oxide knowing the general formulae: M(NO3)2 and MO. M can be x. Cross multiply.

Reaction score

for q 18 see the atomic radius and ionic radius graphs from any book for period 3, u shud memorise it
for q 20 the products formed are CH3COONa and C3H7OH , find there molecular mass, and then percentage by mass
for 7 i did 2+x=2+x/2 (but this may not b right way, anywyz i got my ans correct)

Reaction score
A reaction which causes the presence of oxides of nitrogen in car exhausts is the formation of
NO.
N2 + O2→ 2NO ∆H = +180kJmol–1
What is the bond energy in kJmol–1 of the bond between the atoms in NO?
A 655 B 835 C 1310 D 1670

PLEASE SOLVE AND EXPLAIN THIS QUESTION!

Reaction score
The reaction between aluminium powder and anhydrous barium nitrate is used as the propellant
in some fireworks. The metal oxides and nitrogen are the only products.
Which volume of nitrogen, measured under room conditions, is produced when 0.783 g of
anhydrous barium nitrate reacts with an excess of aluminium?
A 46.8cm3
B 72.0cm3
C 93.6cm3
D 144cm3
Help ! :)