• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

23 C because only Pentan-3-ol has a chiral carbon. Drawing the displayed formula for such type of questions REALLY helps
30 Na will react with an alcohol to give R-O Na , the number of oxygens remains the same. Elimination will occur with Al2O3, with option B esterification will occur with the acid which increases the number of oxygen atoms and in option C OH group will be replaced by HBr. So D is the answer

Reaction score
What you have to do is draw ICE charts for all the equations (A, B, C and D). Then see if the sum of equilibrium moles is 2+x/2.
Here's the ICE chart for D:
s4J2eot.jpg

Reaction score
23 C because only Pentan-3-ol has a chiral carbon. Drawing the displayed formula for such type of questions REALLY helps
30 Na will react with an alcohol to give R-O Na , the number of oxygens remains the same. Elimination will occur with Al2O3, with option B esterification will occur with the acid which increases the number of oxygen atoms and in option C OH group will be replaced by HBr. So D is the answer
I wrote Na for 30, but the answer is CH3COOH. I have no idea why, as that would give an ester, and that has two O atoms.

Reaction score
Reaction score
24. Because of the rings, the compound can't be planar. Because of the rings, there can exist no cis-trains isomers.
8. Pressure depends on the mole ratio, so you'll need to be calculating the moles here. Mass of H2=2 g, molecular mass=2, so n=1. Calculate the total moles in A, B, C and D. C's the answer, if I'm not mistaken.
11. Draw an ICE (initial moles, change in moles, equilibrium moles) chart.

Reaction score
What you have to do is draw ICE charts for all the equations (A, B, C and D). Then see if the sum of equilibrium moles is 2+x/2.
Here's the ICE chart for D:
s4J2eot.jpg

Rightttt Thanks alot buddy! That really did help buddyy!

Reaction score
24. Because of the rings, the compound can't be planar. Because of the rings, there can exist no cis-trains isomers.
8. Pressure depends on the mole ratio, so you'll need to be calculating the moles here. Mass of H2=2 g, molecular mass=2, so n=1. Calculate the total moles in A, B, C and D. C's the answer, if I'm not mistaken.
11. Draw an ICE (initial moles, change in moles, equilibrium moles) chart.

I did draw an ICE, but I don't understand how they got 4(b-x) at the bottom. I just got (b-x)^2

Reaction score
I think C. (Na can react with both -CO2H and OH, there is 3 in C so -3 but NaOH only with -CO2H so -1) I'm not sure though as I didn't revise from a long time.

I have a question : http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w11_qp_11.pdf

Number 9, the answer is D but I don't know how to get it.

i didn't quite get it :/
I get the part where Na reacts with both -CO2H and -OH but after that i don't get it ..
and
yes it is C.

Reaction score
I did draw an ICE, but I don't understand how they got 4(b-x) at the bottom. I just got (b-x)^2

If x moles of HI dissociates, then H2 and I2 gain x/2 moles (mole ratio 2:1). Amount of HI left = b-x. Now, Kp=p(I2)xp(H2)/p(HI)^2. [(x/2)*(x/2)]/(b-x)^2 will simplify to D.

Reaction score
i didn't quite get it :/
I get the part where Na reacts with both -CO2H and -OH but after that i don't get it ..
and
yes it is C.

Na reacts with both groups to form ONa- which is charged (-1), there is three so 3 ONa- will form

NaOH is the same thing but with only -CO2H group.