• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Q9. I usually try to create the eqm table

Ag+ .........+ ......... Fe2+.........--> .........Ag.........+ Fe3+
1...............................1...............................-..............0.... initial conc
-0.56........................-0.56................. -..........+0.56.... change conc
0.44...........................0.44...................- .............0.56.... final conc

Common student mistake: It is important to realise that Ag is a solid, so we do not fill in any info for it.

Refer to the steps below if you are not sure how the info in the above table is filled up.
1st step : Fill in info for the initial concentration
2nd step Fill in info that Ag+ is 0.44 moles for final concentration
3rd step: fill in the info in green
4th step: fill in the info in yellow
5th step: fill in the row for final concentration

Kc = [Fe3+]/[Ag+][Fe2+]
= (0.56)/(0.44)(0.44)
= 2.89

Q18. The reaction is Ca(OH)2 + SO2 --> CaSO3 + H2O

Q36.
X is N2 (element)
Y is NO (N2 + 0.5 O2 --> NO2)
Z is NO2

It might be tempting to think of X as C, but C does not really exist in the form of carbon element in the engine, but rather as part of a hydrocarbon fuel.

I'll try to explain this more with diagram when I figure out what is the best way to attach my sketches to a post. :confused:

For now, understand that using the original dibromine to react with NH3
NH2 will replace one of the Br
then the NH2 will join to the carbon that contains the other Br. The Br is removed and a ring is formed.

So, if we work backwards from the structure of coniine
1) cut the single bond between N and C, thus opening up the ring
2) C is now missing a bond, add a Br to it.
3) Replace the N-H group with a Br
4) That is the original structure of X

Alright thank you soo much! :)
For no. 9, I used to correct method, just that i calculated the mol for Ag (solid) as well, so i got the incorrect answer.

Reaction score

Hi, for ease of discussion, can put up the suggested answers for your 3 selected questions?

w11qp12

Q4.
N2 + 3H2 --> 2NH3

Mass of H2 reacted = 12 000 - 96 000 = 24 000 g
Moles of H2 reacted = 24 000 / 2 = 12 000 mol

Moles of NH3 produced = (12 000/3 ) x 2 = 8 000 mol
Mass of NH3 produced = 8 000 x 17 = 136 000 g = 136 kg

Q10.
Draw a cycle based on heat of formation of CH4 as below, we can see that all the values in option A is needed to calculate the BE of (C-H)

Picture 15.png

Q18.
Old lime mortar produces a gas when reacted with HCl, so it should be CaCO3 (to produce CO2) , instead of CaO and Ca(OH)2.

This leaves us with Options A and D.
A: CaO is harder than CaCO3
D: Ca(OH)2 is softer than CaCO3

So option D is more likely

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about practical 34?

My teacher says that there is some titration performance and we will be provided with a mixture of calcium carbonate and potassium chloride! they have also asked for a crucible, but what will we be doing with the crucible because the mixture isn't decomposing. please ask ur teacher or search that at which temp does it decompose or how much time it must take. we couldnt work out any experiment! :(

Reaction score
My teacher says that there is some titration performance and we will be provided with a mixture of calcium carbonate and potassium chloride! they have also asked for a crucible, but what will we be doing with the crucible because the mixture isn't decomposing. please ask ur teacher or search that at which temp does it decompose or how much time it must take. we couldnt work out any experiment! :(

Calcium carbonate does decompose. There will be a loss in mass due to release in CO2.

(Note that this is not an clue to the experiment, I have no idea what it is.)

Reaction score
in 29 why did

you go for isomerism rather than simple structure o_O
How can we know that this time we will go for this structure like you drawn in 29

Do you mean to ask why X is not a straight chain butene?

If it was a straight chain butene, we would get butane when it reacts with H2.

since the question stated that we get methylpropane upon hydrogenation, it means the C4H8 is branched at the start.

Reaction score