• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Unit 6B 15.05.2013!! June 2013

Reaction score
i am not sure about the side chain but i I wrote CH2CH2COCH3. Most probably incorrect

Reaction score
i think 32 should be an A.Fingers crossed.Then there will be a small chance for me to get an A

Reaction score
Yup
i am not sure about the side chain but i I wrote CH2CH2COCH3. Most probably incorrect
what was used to measure volume?? I wrote burette. And for structural formula of X, i included the benzene ring.Is it correct?

Reaction score
Yup
what was used to measure volume?? I wrote burette. And for structural formula of X, i included the benzene ring.Is it correct?

I said pipette because it can read to a precision of 0.1 and the value was given like this i think 24.0, i can't remember the value but the concept is the same. And it can read to a precision of 0.1. Usually for burette you would use it if it is given like this 24.00

Reaction score
I said pipette because it can read to a precision of 0.1 and the value was given like this i think 24.0, i can't remember the value but the concept is the same. And it can read to a precision of 0.1. Usually for burette you would use it if it is given like this 24.00
oh noooo i wrote burette because the volumes had to be accurate. precision never came across my mind. now i remember - the values were given to 1 dp. :(

Reaction score
I suggest you read through every experiment marked 'experiment' in the hodder a2 physics textbook. every past paper experiment has been taken from that book.

Reaction score
for the nmr structure, i got 'OH-benzene ring-CH2CH2COCH3'

Do you think our answers are correct ? It makes sense as there will be no splitting on CH3 group
I didn't show the OH because they only wanted you to the side chain

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a few questions about the paper,

1.) For the glucose one,
-I think the order of glucose is 0, and 1 for H2SO4 and KMnO4
Did you guys happen to know how to express the rate equation? I wrote rate = k[H+][MnO4 -], or do you have to put everything into it?
-What another technique did you put to measure the conc. of KMnO4 continously? I putted colorimetry....
-And the color change at the end point should be purple to pink?

2.) The middle part of the first question, it said when Ni(H2O)6 reacts with excess HCl, a brown yellow solution forms, I thought [NiCl4]2- was green :<

3.) For those % error thingy, did you guys get 0.x% or something? Did you need to round it up to a real number?

4.) The NMR. I thought there were only 5 peaks, containing 2 multiplet,
I putted HO-benzene ring- CO C(CH3)2 H

5.) Finally, how did all of you outline "how Solvent Extraction allow us to obtain X" ?
I panicked on this one, and stupidly answered the following
- Allow time for mixture to reach equilibrium and form 2 layers
- X will be the bottom layer as its density is 1.4x
- Open tap of separating funnel and obtain x and close tap at where 2 layers meet ......

Reaction score
I said the colour change was from colourless to pale pink . I wrote colorimetry aswell
For error thing it was 0.x something. For the nmr they said there were 6 peaks

Solvent extraction
i said open the tap to allow the two layers to separate, didn't specify which one and then again put the separated into a separating funnel and add Sodium carbonate... Not sure about this one though