• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry V1 (discussion)

Reaction score
El hemdela that IGCSE ended fine with Chemistry Paper 11. I wish to all a good holiday.

Goodbye Chemitry, this will be the last time I will see you.

Reaction score
Question 34 which functional group did the compound contain ? I chose A ,all the 3 functional groups were there ?

Iron is more harder to extract than copper, more reactive metals form more stable compounds, it was P2Q and I chose for homologus series alkene and alcohol

Reaction score
Guys it is either none or alkene only...
How can a substance have two homologus series...
If the question was asking about the monomer then alkene only since an alcohol of 2 carbons should contains 5 hydrogen…
If it was about polymer then either none or alcohol..Checked wikipedia PVA stands for polyvenyl alcohol..
But in alcohol homologus series general formula is cn h2n+1 oh

Reaction score
it was neither one of them, because alcohol can't have double bonds and alkenes can't have oxygen

Reaction score
I think ur right! :/
If the question was asking about the monomer then alkene only since an alcohol of 2 carbons should contains 5 hydrogen…
If it was about polymer then either none or alcohol..Checked wikipedia PVA stands for polyvenyl alcohol..

Reaction score
what about the 3rd question where it asked which apparatus is needed, i put all of them

Reaction score
I did it none (Y)…Hopefully it is...Polymers are saturated so it couldnt be alkenes…and alcohol dont polymerise..There was a questio about ethanol polymeriZation…

Reaction score
But in alcohol homologus series general formula is cn h2n+1 oh
I wrote alcohol.. coz that was surely ethanol! In addition, alcohol can polymerise to form polyester (Is that right? )

Reaction score
I wrote alcohol.. coz that was surely ethanol! In addition, alcohol can polymerise to form polyester (Is that right? :p)
Ethanol should have 5 hydrogen and esterification is not polymerization..ethanol according to several ms
Cant polymeriZe so alcohol cant

Reaction score
doesn't the volume of acid affect the rate of a reaction
What's that ?
And again homologus series should have both same general formula and same functional group..General formula is C(n)H(2n+1)OH