• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE grading problem for A Level maths

Reaction score
so this is the situation...i am doing my AS levels again cus i did not get the marks i had hoped...but in order not to lose a year i plan on also doing the A Level(A2) Maths paper which is P2 and P3 and also statistics...because the university which i plan on going requires that i at least have 4 AS levels and 1 A level(subject being math) and all above C grade......

now my question is......if i get an A in my AS level maths and did not even appear for my A level math exam......what would be my FINAL grade? as the final grade would be the AS and A level grade for math combined am i right? AND if i get an A in my AS and a D or C in my A level....what would bemy final score then? :)

Reaction score
Its very hard to know. The grading system works on percentile, with a threshold that varies year to year. As in, your grade reflects your performance with respect to your peers. That said, I'm not sure if anybody knows the actual formula CIE uses to calculate your final combined grade.

As for not appearing in the A level components and appearing in AS ones, that is very lazy and since you signed up for the FULL A level(as opposed to AS and A2 in separate sessions), you will get an X. (EDIT: Most probably. Not fully sure since I've never really encountered this... approach) If you study only for AS and get A, and fail completely in A2, you will struggle to get an E.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its very hard to know. The grading system works on percentile, with a threshold that varies year to year. As in, your grade reflects your performance with respect to your peers. That said, I'm not sure if anybody knows the actual formula CIE uses to calculate your final combined grade.

As for not appearing in the A level components and appearing in AS ones, that is very lazy and since you signed up for the FULL A level(as opposed to AS and A2 in separate sessions), you will get an X. (EDIT: Most probably. Not fully sure since I've never really encountered this... strategy) If you study only for AS and get A, and fail completely in A2, you will struggle to get an E.

thx for response.....and ofcourse i wont do that....i would appear for the A2 exam but i just need my final result to be a C.....so if i get an A in AS what would i need to get in A2 in order to get a C in A level? :D

Reaction score
thx for response.....and ofcourse i wont do that....i would appear for the A2 exam but i just need my final result to be a C.....so if i get an A in AS what would i need to get in A2 in order to get a C in A level? :D

That attitude.

Think about more than the minimum requirements, bro. Ace it

Reaction score
i would try my best....and again i was not going for the min requirement.....i just wanted to know the safe-zone for university admission :/

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. The thing is, its hard to know a safe zone. And no one on xtreme papers would likely want to take responsibility by telling you to get a certain minimum grade in A2 to make your average at least C.

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. The thing is, its hard to know a safe zone. And no one on xtreme papers would likely want to take responsibility by telling you to get a certain minimum grade in A2 to make your average at least C.

oh....aright m8 thx for ur help (y)