• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Cie grading scheme

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know about the latest cambridge grading scheme. According to 2013 syllabus 80% above is A but i have heard that A is 85% above and A* is 90% and above

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know about the latest cambridge grading scheme. According to 2013 syllabus 80% above is A but i have heard that A is 85% above and A* is 90% and above

Just to clarify (or perhaps confuse) this issue for the unwary.

The statement in the syllabuses about the grading scheme does not mean that if the total number of points available is 270 then you need 90% or 243 points to obtain an A* nor does it mean that if you obtain 243 points you will get an A*. What they are referring to in this section I believe is how letter grades are converted into numerical ones. This is necessary for students who will use these results for university entrance in countries which use some numerical score on entrance exams.

As the syllabuses say,

The uniform percentage mark is stated at syllabus level only. It is not the same as the ‘raw’ mark obtained
by the candidate, since it depends on the position of the grade thresholds (which may vary from one session
to another and from one subject to another) and it has been turned into a percentage.”

In other words the letter grades will depend on what the thresholds are-as they always have and you can not in advance predict what percentage score is needed for a particular letter grade.

At least this is my interpretation of this section which I arrived at after many hours of thought and study. However I suggest you consult your lawyer on this point for additional clarification, confirmation, interpretation, and final obfuscation.

Reaction score
Yup, Ive also heard that now its A on85 and plus and A* on 90 and above.. So can some one plz clear this out, as im going to appear this year in may..

Reaction score
The statement in the syllabus' refer to the PERCENTAGE UNIFORM MARK which is shown on your Statement of Results.

Every year, the marks needed to get a certain grade will change. That is dependent on how the overall results are. They insert everyone's marks into the computer and at the end a curve is formed and from that curve that mark off certain points so a certain number will get A*'s, A's etc.
Generally, the better everyone does at the exam; the harder it is to score higher grades.
And the worse everyone does, it is actually easier to score higher grades.

Now back the the Percentage Uniform Mark mentioned earlier. After they do the curve and your grade is given, they represent this in the form of the Percentage Uniform Mark....therefore it is NOT what you actually got!

The purpose of the Percentage Uniform Mark is so everyone regardless of exam session or zone is on a level playing field when applying to university or for work.
If they were to place actual percentages, it would be unfair since the exams for different sessions and zones are of varying difficulties .
The higher your Percentage Uniform Mark is, they higher you are in the grade bracket. For example, if the grade threshold for an A in AS History this year is 63 out of 100 and you get 85, then you get an A. That is significantly high in the bracket so your Percentage Uniform Mark may come as 90%.

Reaction score
The statement in the syllabus' refer to the PERCENTAGE UNIFORM MARK which is shown on your Statement of Results.

Every year, the marks needed to get a certain grade will change. That is dependent on how the overall results are. They insert everyone's marks into the computer and at the end a curve is formed and from that curve that mark off certain points so a certain number will get A*'s, A's etc.
Generally, the better everyone does at the exam; the harder it is to score higher grades.
And the worse everyone does, it is actually easier to score higher grades.

Now back the the Percentage Uniform Mark mentioned earlier. After they do the curve and your grade is given, they represent this in the form of the Percentage Uniform Mark....therefore it is NOT what you actually got!

The purpose of the Percentage Uniform Mark is so everyone regardless of exam session or zone is on a level playing field when applying to university or for work.
If they were to place actual percentages, it would be unfair since the exams for different sessions and zones are of varying difficulties .
The higher your Percentage Uniform Mark is, they higher you are in the grade bracket. For example, if the grade threshold for an A in AS History this year is 63 out of 100 and you get 85, then you get an A. That is significantly high in the bracket so your Percentage Uniform Mark may come as 90%.
Yeah so basically its kind of like percentile right?