• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE IGCSE or O Level?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing CIE O Level in Bangladesh. I just came here from England about a year ago & wish to return to England after my A Levels. So my question is, Which would be better for higher education in the UK? IGCSE or O Level?

Reaction score
O level is more challenging than Igcse and is more prefered. Go for O level. It will prepare you better for A level. Did u hear about Mr Gove?

Reaction score
Well, the point is that O'Levels is a tad bit tougher than IGCSE, so most people/teachers/institutes follow it because when the students pass to A'Levels they may find it a bit hard to cope with the course since it's almost an extension of O'Levels, so there a few things that the IGCSE student hasn't learnt before, yet the O'Level student has already gone through them.

But from your question I get you're talking about the qualification that universities in UK value more, it doesn't make the slightest of difference which one you take, since you'll have passed your A'Levels and those are the grades which universities are more concerned with.

So, the conclusion is, you can choose to do any of the two, but O'Levels would give you an edge when you're dealing with A'Levels. :)

Reaction score
We,, i've practiced both types of papers and have an idea about them.In my opinion, O level is not tougher.On the contrary I found IGCSE slightly tougher, especially subjects like Math and English.In terms of recognition, IGCSE has more value than O levels.

Reaction score
We,, i've practiced both types of papers and have an idea about them.In my opinion, O level is not tougher.On the contrary I found IGCSE slightly tougher, especially subjects like Math and English.In terms of recognition, IGCSE has more value than O levels.
I also solved papers from both Igcse and O levels and I found O level questions more challenging. In terms of recognition both are absolutely same. However, O level prepares you beter for A level because the Igcse syllabus does not contain some topics which are included in O level. The O level question pattern is more similar to the AS Level. If you do O levels, AS will be easier for you. If you do Igcse you might find AS more difficult. Besides, in Bangladesh very small number of people sit for Igcse. U will find more resources here for O level. Btw which city are u from? I am from Ctg.

Reaction score
I also solved papers from both Igcse and O levels and I found O level questions more challenging. In terms of recognition both are absolutely same. However, O level prepares you beter for A level because the Igcse syllabus does not contain some topics which are included in O level. The O level question pattern is more similar to the AS Level. If you do O levels, AS will be easier for you. If you do Igcse you might find AS more difficult. Besides, in Bangladesh very small number of people sit for Igcse. U will find more resources here for O level. Btw which city are u from? I am from Ctg.
Heys...I guess it kind of depends on the person...My siblings always told me that IGCSE was more challenging....they r now in uni...now that I'm in this stage I do agree wid them..I also found it that way....In terms of recognition too,depends on the city.I live in Mozambique near South Africa..both countries give more value to IGCSE students..some don't even know about O levels...So from my experience, Ive always found IGCSE as a better option.

Reaction score
I always wondered what's the difference between IGCSE and O level?
can someone tell me? :)

Reaction score
Listen people the UK government is thinking of reintroducing O levels because they think Gcse is too easy! O levels have more value! Dont you know what Michael Gove said? Visit www.gurdian.co.uk for details

Reaction score
:D Dude its not about what you or I think. Its what THEY think! If you think Igcse is beter then prove it! The thing is simple 'Both are Equilivalent but O levels are slightly tougher'. Universities look for your A level results, they wont give a damn to whether you give Igcse or O levels.

Reaction score
:D Dude its not about what you or I think. Its what THEY think! If you think Igcse is beter then prove it! The thing is simple 'Both are Equilivalent but O levels are slightly tougher'. Universities look for your A level results, they wont give a damn to whether you give Igcse or O levels.
I know tht unvi's will look at a levels
And I dont care bout wht happens in future ,right now igcse is more valubale