• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Complete AS Biology Notes (P1 and P2)

Reaction score
Here are my AS Biology notes. They are complete, and they've helped me and my classmates tremendously. I've managed to get from 30/40 to at least 37/40 in paper 1 with these notes. Paper 2 became easier to understand as well. Hope they help you guys as much as it helped me. Great thanks to my biology teacher Miss Duha, for making biology easier for me to comprehend :D

Updated on 12/05/2013 - Added more phagocyte/lymphocyte/desert plant information. Changed amino-acid link picture :)

Attachments

• Biology Notes.docx
    689.4 KB · Views: 169
Reaction score
This is great! Do you have a list of cell organelles with their sizes? That's really helpful for MCQ's

Reaction score
Here are my AS Biology notes. They are complete, and they've helped me and my classmates tremendously. I've managed to get from 30/40 to at least 37/40 in paper 1 with these notes. Paper 2 became easier to understand as well. Hope they help you guys as much as it helped me.
Alhamdulillah and thanks for this notes. I was really hoping for this. Hopefully we can help each other in the future.

Reaction score
Hmm I didn't write those, because they weren't specified in the syllabus, :notworthy:

They aren't specified, but you often see MCQ's like "which of the following can be seen under a light microscope?" and knowing the sizes of each organelles help there.
If you have anything like a list of sizes, please give me a link or upload a document will you?

Reaction score
They aren't specified, but you often see MCQ's like "which of the following can be seen under a light microscope?" and knowing the sizes of each organelles help there.
If you have anything like a list of sizes, please give me a link or upload a document will you?
I do remember seeing some questions about the thickness of the cell membrane which is 7 nm, but the rest are mostly Which organelle is larger than the other? (which is a bit obvious). [Chloroplasts are larger than microchondria]

Reaction score
I do remember seeing some questions about the thickness of the cell membrane which is 7 nm, but the rest are mostly Which organelle is larger than the other? (which is a bit obvious). [Chloroplasts are larger than microchondria]

First off, just ran through your notes, they're pretty well written man props :D

Just one suggestion though, i think maybe the amino acids linking up to form peptide bond diagram on page 4 is wrong? I think its the OH group of the acid and H group of the amine? You might want to look into that. Even if they are ions shouldnt the singly bonded O be the one removed? since C-O is weaker C=O??

Reaction score
Some short points i would like to add which i think would be helpful:

Ribosome has small and large sub-unit, tRNA goes to large unit whereas mRNA goes to small
the amino acids form a peptide bond with the help of petidyl transferase enzyme
Mutations exist in 3 forms, base addition, base deletion and base substitution. Actually i am a bit unsure if this was part of AS or A2 syllabus :p
a triplet base code sequence codes for 1 amino acid

Now i dont know what exactly you meant by "always read by 3'" in the protien synthesis notes, but what i've read is the strands are either sense or anti-sense, and only one is read, and it is only read in one direction ever, forever.

ionising radiation [alpha rays, gamma rays] cause cancer formation
cancer can be benign [stays in one place, not very harmful] or malignant [breaks off into pieces and lodges into other parts of the body, a process known as metastasis]
UV radiation [yes, apparently it is DIFFERENT from ionising radiation also causes cancer.

xylem DOES have SOME living cells. I'll have to look up what their function was though.
The cells in the phloem are said to have degenerate cytoplasm.

Will post more if i find anything helpful to add :)

Reaction score
Xerophytes also have longer-then-average root hairs reaching down to the very depths for water.
It might be worth a mention that phagocytes have granular cytoplasm whereas that of lymphocytes is relatively clear.
Furthermore RBC's can be referred to as erythrocytes, whereas WBC's are also luecocytes.

Reaction score
Some short points i would like to add which i think would be helpful:

Ribosome has small and large sub-unit, tRNA goes to large unit whereas mRNA goes to small
the amino acids form a peptide bond with the help of petidyl transferase enzyme
Mutations exist in 3 forms, base addition, base deletion and base substitution. Actually i am a bit unsure if this was part of AS or A2 syllabus :p
a triplet base code sequence codes for 1 amino acid
Those are part of the A2 syllabus :LOL:

Now i dont know what exactly you meant by "always read by 3'" in the protien synthesis notes, but what i've read is the strands are either sense or anti-sense, and only one is read, and it is only read in one direction ever, forever.

ionising radiation [alpha rays, gamma rays] cause cancer formation
cancer can be benign [stays in one place, not very harmful] or malignant [breaks off into pieces and lodges into other parts of the body, a process known as metastasis]
UV radiation [yes, apparently it is DIFFERENT from ionising radiation also causes cancer.

I guess 3' and 5' are the same as antisense, because from what I've learnt, it is always read in the 3' direction..:censored:
Well, honestly I just picked up things here and there from the book according to the CIE syllabus. They didn't really say we had to know the difference between malignant or benign which is why I didn't put it in :confused:

xylem DOES have SOME living cells. I'll have to look up what their function was though.
The cells in the phloem are said to have degenerate cytoplasm.

Will post more if i find anything helpful to add :)
According to my CIE biology AS book, xylem vessels are non-living tubes. They BEGAN as living, but when lignin built around their cells, the contents of the cell died which means the cell itself died. Degenerate cytoplasm is the same as little cytoplasm :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Xerophytes also have longer-then-average root hairs reaching down to the very depths for water.
It might be worth a mention that phagocytes have granular cytoplasm whereas that of lymphocytes is relatively clear.
Furthermore RBC's can be referred to as erythrocytes, whereas WBC's are also luecocytes.

I'll input that into the notes :cool::LOL:

Reaction score
First off, just ran through your notes, they're pretty well written man props :D

Just one suggestion though, i think maybe the amino acids linking up to form peptide bond diagram on page 4 is wrong? I think its the OH group of the acid and H group of the amine? You might want to look into that. Even if they are ions shouldnt the singly bonded O be the one removed? since C-O is weaker C=O??

Oh you're right! Sorry ^_^ I got image off google, because I don't have a scanner to input mine into the notes. I'll change it now :)

Reaction score
Those are part of the A2 syllabus :LOL:

I guess 3' and 5' are the same as antisense, because from what I've learnt, it is always read in the 3' direction..:censored:
Well, honestly I just picked up things here and there from the book according to the CIE syllabus. They didn't really say we had to know the difference between malignant or benign which is why I didn't put it in :confused:

According to my CIE biology AS book, xylem vessels are non-living tubes. They BEGAN as living, but when lignin built around their cells, the contents of the cell died which means the cell itself died. Degenerate cytoplasm is the same as little cytoplasm :ROFLMAO:

:D np and im pretty sure SOME xylem cells are still alive despite being lignified...but maybe thats too deep to be in the AS syllabus

Reaction score
:D np and im pretty sure SOME xylem cells are still alive despite being lignified...but maybe thats too deep to be in the AS syllabus
Okay hold on, I'll research it and update this post in a bit.. I might be wrong, but that's what it's written in my biology book so I'm just quoting it xd

EDIT: The xylem transports water and soluble mineral nutrients from the roots throughout the plant. It is also used to replace water lost during transpiration and photosynthesis. Xylem sap consists mainly of water and inorganic ions, although it can contain a number of organic chemicals as well. The transport is passive, not powered by energy spent by the tracheary elements themselves, which are dead by maturity and no longer have living content. ~Wikipedia

They were living cells, but as soon as they mature they die :unsure:

Reaction score
could you upload em for chem n phy too . please
I don't take physics sorry :/ Chemistry, at the moment all my notes are on paper, and since i have no scanner, it means I have to type them onto the computer which would take a while. I'm still unsure if I'll be able to upload them..