• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computer Studies Notes + Tips + Queries

Reaction score
Found these in May June 2011 ATC mark scheme.

One mark per point
Test data max 2
- use of test data sets
- normal test data has known outcomes
- extreme test data checks validation rules
- abnormal test data should produce error messages
- mention of normal, abnormal, and extreme data (all 3 with no valid expansions, one
mark if above not given)
Types of testing max 2
- Black box
- White box
- System
- Alpha
- Beta
- User etc
Other
- testing that the stock control system meets the requirements for the showroom
- volume testing

I don't quite agree with CIE here, since all these testing types are inter-related. It's not like a White box and Alpha testing are completely different, in fact, Alpha testing is done in various ways and it is similar to many types of tests as well. Still, this is the maximum they expect from us I guess.

Reaction score
why i cant find it in book?
i still dont get.
please give detailed examples and differences between beta and alpha testing; and between black and white box testing.

It's not in the books. My teacher introduced these in class but I didn't understand them so I came back home that day and googled and understood all these (long ago). Mohdumar has shared a good link for understanding these, if you still don't get anything, please ask. :)

Reaction score
I don't quite agree with CIE here, since all these testing types are inter-related. It's not like a White box and Alpha testing are completely different, in fact, Alpha testing is done in various ways and it is similar to many types of tests as well. Still, this is the maximum they expect from us I guess.

these things are not quite in the syllabus i guess. they are in case a student wants to show extra knowledge. like diffraction, inteference of light and light being ossicilating electric and magnetic fields are correct properties but not in syllabus. these are still given in mark scheme.

Reaction score
these things are not quite in the syllabus i guess. they are in case a student wants to show extra knowledge. like diffraction, inteference of light and light being ossicilating electric and magnetic fields are correct properties but not in syllabus. these are still given in mark scheme.

I know, I read about all those in the IGCSE book (physics) as well. The thing is, you shouldn't know HOW these testing types work or what are they used for. However, you should know that these testing types EXIST and are used for testing data. Just consider them to be TYPES of testing so that you know when a question is asked that Alpha, Beta, White Box, Black Box, Unit, Integration, Field Testing are all types.

Reaction score
I know, I read about all those in the IGCSE book (physics) as well. The thing is, you shouldn't know HOW these testing types work or what are they used for. However, you should know that these testing types EXIST and are used for testing data. Just consider them to be TYPES of testing so that you know when a question is asked that Alpha, Beta, White Box, Black Box, Unit, Integration, Field Testing are all types.

that sounds better :)

Reaction score
What things need to be there in user documentaion and why?
user documentation is to guide the user of the computer system. It contains guidelines about using the computer, loading different programs, countering an error, loading up and shutting down the OS, guidelines about common tasks like printing, connecting to the internet. It is there just to guide a new user of the computer so that he gets familiar with the basics.

Reaction score
What things need to be there in user documentaion and why?

user documentation is to guide the user of the computer system. It contains guidelines about using the computer, loading different programs, countering an error, loading up and shutting down the OS, guidelines about common tasks like printing, connecting to the internet. It is there just to guide a new user of the computer so that he gets familiar with the basics.

Actually, we don't answer like that I think, we state it like this:
- Software and Hardware Requirements: So that the user knows when a compatibility issue is there.
- Troubleshooting guide: So that the user can have a step to step guide to solve a problem.
- Frequently Asked Questions: To answer and/or give solutions to common problems.
- Tutorial: Mostly video, presents the video with instructions on how to run and use the software.
- Sometimes, a document that describes the software and its limitations is also provided so that the user knows WHAT and WHAT NOT the software can do.

Reaction score
Actually, we don't answer like that I think, we state it like this:
- Software and Hardware Requirements: So that the user knows when a compatibility issue is there.
- Troubleshooting guide: So that the user can have a step to step guide to solve a problem.
- Frequently Asked Questions: To answer and/or give solutions to common problems.
- Tutorial: Mostly video, presents the video with instructions on how to run and use the software.
- Sometimes, a document that describes the software and its limitations is also provided so that the user knows WHAT and WHAT NOT the software can do.
wah jnab wah :p

Reaction score
i m hoping that spreadsheets, databases, logic gates, algorithm and program flowchart, all will come in P1!
they r the easiest and are completely based on common sense!

Reaction score
what is polling?

It's like checking for the devices and whether they require are ready to the processor's orders or not. It is the continuous checking of the status of a device, such as a printer, to check if it is ready to perform the task that is to be given to it by the computer. For example, when you're printer is adjusting ink cartridges and you give a print, the computer waits until the printer has performed the adjustments by continuously checking its status and then gives it the print order.