• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computer Studies Notes + Tips + Queries

Reaction score
i m hoping that spreadsheets, databases, logic gates, algorithm and program flowchart, all will come in P1!
they r the easiest and are completely based on common sense!

Well, they almost always do come. Spreadsheets and Algorithms come almost every year and Logic gates, Databases and Flowcharts almost every other year.

Reaction score
what is polling?

for example a device wants to let operating system to know something. like it wants to send files, printer wants to tell that it is out of paper or sensor tells that fire has been detected. it can not send information by itself. operating systems check all the devices after regular intervals. for example after every seconds the operating system checks for all the devices if they have something to tell it. this checking is called polling and the systems using this are called polling system.
Nowadays interrupt is used instead. operating system does not waste time and power to check. whenever an application or printer needs attention, it interrupts the processor.

Reaction score
It's like checking for the devices and whether they require are ready to the processor's orders or not. It is the continuous checking of the status of a device, such as a printer, to check if it is ready to perform the task that is to be given to it by the computer. For example, when you're printer is adjusting ink cartridges and you give a print, the computer waits until the printer has performed the adjustments by continuously checking its status and then gives it the print order.

Reaction score
P3 case study would be an example of real time transaction processing right since it updates as soon as a booking is made?

Reaction score
P3 case study would be an example of real time transaction processing right since it updates as soon as a booking is made?

Yes. All booking systems are real time transaction processing, since the availability of the seat/tour has be immediately marked to booked or reserved to avoid double booking.

Reaction score
Guys, if we get a 3 marks question, and write, say, 6-7 points, will we get full marks for the question if the first or first two points are not relevant? Plz do reply.

Reaction score
Guys, if we get a 3 marks question, and write, say, 6-7 points, will we get full marks for the question if the first or first two points are not relevant? Plz do reply.

No. The first three points are checked.

Reaction score
Are you certain? Coz our teacher told us that the first point would be discarded then?

Reaction score
Are you certain? Coz our teacher told us that the first point would be discarded then?

Look, I read this in some examiner tips that it is ALWAYS a waste of time when candidates provide more than the amount of reasons required. If they say, 2 reasons, then write 2 reasons. However, if there is a 3 mark question for Description, Explanation or Reasoning then you should write 3-4 logical statements to earn the 3 marks. Just do what the question requires, no more, no less.

Reaction score
^My point exactly. I think u didnt read my comment properly. :p

Anyways, another quick question, for input using touch screen, do we use manual input (trapezium) or the normal one (parallelogram)?

Reaction score
Oh sorry. I read time hee nhi hota. :oops:
Manual input because humans are involved. It's not "automatic".

Reaction score
Flowcharts hate me. :( :p

If we are checking availability of cabins/seats, is it supposed to be a double-headed arrow, or a single-headed one (from the cabins file to the process box only)?

Reaction score
Flowcharts hate me. :( :p

If we are checking availability of cabins/seats, is it supposed to be a double-headed arrow, or a single-headed one (from the cabins file to the process box only)?

Single one.

Reaction score
Any expected questions which haven't come before?

Like you said, I believe that Podcasts, Wiki's, Social Networking, their effects and their definitions could come.
I expect a Program Flowchart with the options provided and we would have to fill.
Plus, PERHAPS a double loop algorithm.
Other than that, all the ordinary.
ATC is always the same. No need to worry about it. :D