• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computers & ICT: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi, need help on this
Computing 9691
Paper 21 may/june 2011
Question 3 part c

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Computing (9691)/9691_s11_qp_21.pdf

This is rather a tough one so any solution along with explanations like which statement does what along with simple variable names.
Thanks in advance

3 C

The questions is when the program reads the letter how is it going to increase the counter, if it is in a one dimension arrary it will be like this

VB 6

1: Dim arrary ( 1 to 26 )

2: Letter_found = Lcase ( Letter_found)

3: Letters_num = ( Asc ( Letter_found ) - ( Asc ( " a" ) ) + ( 1 )

4: arrary ( Letters_num) = arrary ( Letters_num) + 1

What i have done in the second line is, that i have found the number of the letter

for example if " c " is the letter , the counter in the 3rd index of the arrary must increase because " c " is 3rd letter in the alphabet , in this case it happens like this

ASCII No of " a " = 97
ASCII No of " c " = 99

Letter Num = ( 99 - 97 ) + ( 1 )
Letter Num = 3

arrary [ 3 ] = arrary [ 3 ] +1 Here the counter is increase by one for the previous value

First i turn it to lcase is because otherwise all the values are incorrect

Hope This Is Helpful !!

Reaction score
Guys i always get confused with this
Define
1) Integrated Software
2) Application Packages
3) Generic software
please hellp?

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between Global positioning system and satallite navigation system ? i'm confused :confused:

Reaction score
how to do computing(9691) paper 2 ...............specially writing pseudocode and writing a code for something in high level language?

Reaction score
Actually what does top-down diagram means.............
its the break down of large problems in smaller pieces coz its easier to handel small pieces than the larger one. you can have a general divion of input process and output for all of the problems

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between Global positioning system and satallite navigation system ? i'm confused :confused:

GPS only tells you your position on the map i.e. where you are standing at the moment. SNS on the other hand can give you directions to your destination if you give it the coordinates of that place. It will tell you which roads to use and will also tell any alternate route in case of traffic jams etc.

Reaction score
hey guys i have got the answer of the question i had asked​
Data archiving is the process of moving data that is no longer actively used to a separate data storage device for long-term retention.
and
Backup....
A copy of a program or file that is stored separately from the
original.

Reaction score
Guys i always get confused with this
Define
1) Integrated Software
2) Application Packages
3) Generic software
please hellp?

integrated software are the software which are integrated togather so that they can share the dataamong them like you can import data from an access database to an excel worksheet.
application packages are the software packages which help the user to perform diffrent tasks more easily.
genric softwares: which are readily available in the market they can be an option instead of writing a new progaram because they can perform the same task more easily and they just need to be installed from the cd or other media. opposite to custom written software

Reaction score
Please answer the question
Explain the meaning of the following modes of data transmission.
(i) Simplex [1]
(ii) Full-duplex [1]
(iii) Half-duplex [1]

Reaction score
Please answer the question
Explain the meaning of the following modes of data transmission.
(i) Simplex [1]
(ii) Full-duplex [1]
(iii) Half-duplex [1]
simplex-one way transmission of data. eg-tv,radio
full duplex-two way transmission of data.eg-telephone
half duplex-two way transmission of data but only one at a time. eg-walkie talkie

Reaction score
can any one share some good notes on file access like direct random sequential index .....

or can any one explain them fully??

Reaction score
how to do computing(9691) paper 2 ...............specially writing pseudocode and writing a code for something in high level language?