• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computers & ICT: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi,

Can some one completely (fully) explain how index-sequential files work , how data is stored/accessed in them , would be helpful if someone used examples and diagrams.

Computing 9691

Also any guess on what might appear in the paper this year session in paper 1 and 2.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
can anyone explain to mewhat is the first and third party call control...i read about them but couldn't understand, just need someone who understod them (not memorized them) toexplain them to me..thanx

Reaction score
i) Describe how a stack is implemented using an array.?
ii) Describe how a check can be carried out before adding another value to the stack.
iii) How arrays can be defined in computer's memory?
iv) How Indexed Sequential and Serial Access method works?
v) Describe how a queue is implemented using an array.?
vi)Describe how a check can be carried out before adding another value to the queue?

== Computing students

Reaction score
Does anyone know what percentage (on average) i'll need in the practical and theory to get an A* in A2 considering I got 100% in AS?

Reaction score
I already have these but still require more explanation and an exact answer for a 4 marks question.
I wanted to know which chapters/topics should be most focused on.

File is organized sequential with respect to the primary key, a record is associated with a number called index which is used to identify it.

index are stored in the index file with the primary key , index is the pointer to the absolute memory location of the record

Index sequential file can be accessed sequential and directly

Reaction score
ii) Describe how a check can be carried out before adding another value to the stack.
vi)Describe how a check can be carried out before adding another value to the queue?

== Computing students

ii] if the stack is implemented in a array you can just check whether the array is full or not

iii] array is set of memory locations which is located adjacently to each other

iv] i think there is serial access and there is direct or random access, the index sequential file can be accessed serially or random.

Reaction score
N
ii] if the stack is implemented in a array you can just check whether the array is full or not

iii] array is set of memory locations which is located adjacently to each other

iv] i think there is serial access and there is direct or random access, the index sequential file can be accessed serially or random.
Not really the required answers... these are off 3 marks minimum and 4 max

Reaction score
i need some help in doing this question where it asks after the system has been created it will need to be testes. using examples of payroll data, describe this testing and how any needed improvements would be identified as a result.

Reaction score
You have o explain the different types of test data that is normal, extreme and abnormal n give examples of each.
For example for the field number of hours abnormal data would be -15 or "A", so the system should not accept this data. if an error message is not produced then the limitation has to be identified . The validation routine will have to be designed again and corrected. simialrly for the other two data tests as well any example related to payroll .

Reaction score

== Computing students

i: An array is designed using a particular size. a pointer is created to indicate the top of the stack while adding a new item the pointer must be incrimented by one and the data is placed in the location pointed to by TOP. data is read from the stack from the location pointed to by top and then the pointer is decrimented by 1.. using this implementations the LIFO structure is maintainted.

ii. If pointer1 > size of array
then output "Stack full"
Else continue
End if

iii. array is a group of contigious memory location refered to by a single name.. each item in an array can hold a particular type of data.

iv.Indexed Sequential: this menthod of access involves looking up the first piece of information in an index which narrows the search to a smaller area, the data is then searched alphabetically in sequence..

Serial access: this method involves data being stored in the order which it arrives, simplest form of storage but the data is effectively unstructured so finding it again can be difficult.

v. An array is defined using a particular dimension and size. 2 pointers are created to represent the front and the rear of the queue and the pointers are initialized with appropriate values. data is always entered into the array to a location pointed to by rear and always read from a location pointed to by front. after reading or entering a value, the pointers are changed to point to the correct location using this implementation, the FIFO structure is maintained..

vi. If rear+1 > queue size
output "queue is full"
else
queue(rear)=new item
rear= rear+1
end if

Reaction score
iv.Indexed Sequential: this menthod of access involves looking up the first piece of information in an index which narrows the search to a smaller area, the data is then searched alphabetically in sequence..

Serial access: this method involves data being stored in the order which it arrives, simplest form of storage but the data is effectively unstructured so finding it again can be difficult.

iv. That mean data is arranged in ascending or descending orders before assignment of indexes? and is index same as keyfield?

v. In serial , is data scattered ?