• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computing 9691 Paper 1

Reaction score
To fully understand what this function does, you need some basic knowledge about number theory (an extensive branch of mathematics). A recursive solution for calculating gcd (greatest common divisor) of two numbers is based on the concept of Euclidean Algorithm, which was stated (and proven) by Euclid in his book "Elements". This states that if you take the remainder of a with respect to b (assume that a and b are two numbers and a > b), then the gcd of the smaller number (b) with respect to this remainder (i.e. a MOD b) is equal to the gcd of a and b. You successively perform this computation until you reach a stage when the remainder is 0 i.e. two numbers (n, 0). Now, the gcd of 0 and any other number is the other number. That is the gcd of the initial two numbers.
But you don't require this knowledge to attempt the question. Just follow the logic. I elaborated just because you asked. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
To fully understand what this function does, you need some basic knowledge about number theory (an extensive branch of mathematics). A recursive solution for calculating gcd (greatest common divisor) of two numbers is based on the concept of Euclidean Algorithm, which was stated (and proven) by Euclid in his book "Elements". This states that if you take the remainder of a with respect to b (assume that a and b are two numbers and a > b), then the gcd of the smaller number (b) with respect to this remainder (i.e. a MOD b) is equal to the gcd of a and b. You successively perform this computation until you reach a stage when the remainder is 0 i.e. two numbers (n, 0). Now, the gcd of 0 and any other number is the other number. That is the gcd of the initial two numbers.
But you don't require this knowledge to attempt the question. Just follow the logic. I elaborated just because you asked. :)
:eek:

Reaction score
Thx for helping but i didn't understood a single word...probably this wont come again so I'm in a chill mood...:p....JUST pray paper would be easy...:)

Reaction score
I think it was the toughest paper till now...before there was a format that u atleat got 15 to 20 marks definations...but in this ppr there wasnt a single defination..:(...what do you think threshold will be for p2...only p1 can save me nw..m expecting 69/70 in p1...and 45+ in p2

Reaction score
I think it was the toughest paper till now...before there was a format that u atleat got 15 to 20 marks definations...but in this ppr there wasnt a single defination..:(...what do you think threshold will be for p2...only p1 can save me nw..m expecting 69/70 in p1...and 45+ in p2
guys dont discuss the paper till next day! otherwise u will get banned as moderators say!