• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Discuss doubts: P1 and P2 Economics AS

Reaction score
No it doesn't .. it only depends on the price elasticity of demand. When demand is inelastic price increases will cause revenue increases.. price decreases cause revenue decreases. When demand is elastic price increases cause revenue decreases, price decreases cause revenue increases.
but ur forgetting abt how much ur supplying aswell
it doesnt matter if the demand is elastic or inelastic if ur not supplying enough

Reaction score
No it doesn't .. it only depends on the price elasticity of demand. When demand is inelastic price increases will cause revenue increases.. price decreases cause revenue decreases. When demand is elastic price increases cause revenue decreases, price decreases cause revenue increases.
hence my friend ur only half right

Reaction score
So, u may use elimination method. Aggasi. If u take higher unemployment then it means resources are there but they not used. So, there will be a point inside the PPC and there will be no shift. An increase in price of energy will also lead to unemployment of some of the resources and again there will be no shift. And fall in innovation mean that innovation is there but its intensity has decreases. again there be no shift. Further more decrease in innovation may shift it to the left in future but not today if there is really a negative change in innovtion. Dear you must also keep in mind that production of agricultural and manufactured goods is physical demanding work due to which older workers will be less productive. I mean to say Retirement age is 100% confirm.
Sir, the question was not this. an inward (left) shift of PPC was shown, and the retirement age option was related to 'increase' in retirement age as far as i remember. And, i guess left shift is caused by decrease in the labor force, so increase in retirement age must have caused a right shift. however, decrease in innovation is pretty much similar to decrease in technology. If resource employment is assumed to be the same, less innovation means lesser production possibility, hence, the left shift.

Reaction score
If their demand is inelastic, a general rise in prices will generate more export revenues.
Won't the export revenue only increase if the cost of production has not increased ? :\ I mean inflation cause real rate of return to decrease so how come export revenue increases :|

Reaction score
But what if the demand for the imported goods is price elastic?..Then it would not benefit the importer because at higher prices the quantity demanded will decrease by a greater extent?
No, the price is higher, but cost is same, so, profit is higher for the seller of the imports. as quota decreases supply, price is raised.however, it cannot be said whether 'net profit', i.e: total revenue minus total cost, will increase or decrease. but, that was not what the question asked, as this is unpredictable.

Reaction score
Can help firms to reduce costs if they can keep nominal wage rates constant or increase it at a rate slower than inflation..so the real wage rate decreases.

It can increase consumption because real interest rates may be low as nominal interest rates don't tend to rise in line with inflation. So with lower interest rates we'd see an increase in monetary demand, namely increase in demand for loans for consumption and investment.

Also firms stand to benefit if the increase in prices of their goods is lower than their increase in cost of production incurred, essentially raising profit margins.

Low rates of inflation like that could also increase a country's price competitiveness if their rate of inflation is lower than that of their trading partners ( so, in the cost of their goods become lower for their trading partner(s).

Also for firms whose exported goods has inelastic demand, the increase in the price of their exports might actually lead to an increase in revenue for them.
Can you please also tell me the ways in which inflation is NOT harmful apart from inflation in the country that is a trading partner? Will the increase in export revenue due to inelastic demand of products be valid here?

Reaction score
Can you please also tell me the ways in which inflation is NOT harmful apart from inflation in the country that is a trading partner? Will the increase in export revenue due to inelastic demand of products be valid here?
Yea that'd be one.. but all those reasons I gave you are ways its not harmful

Reaction score
Sir, the question was not this. an inward (left) shift of PPC was shown, and the retirement age option was related to 'increase' in retirement age as far as i remember. And, i guess left shift is caused by decrease in the labor force, so increase in retirement age must have caused a right shift. however, decrease in innovation is pretty much similar to decrease in technology. If resource employment is assumed to be the same, less innovation means lesser production possibility, hence, the left shift.

really ? but decrease in innovation means that there is still innovation just that it is less than before. The word innovation implies new technology/ production methods.. even if there are less new ideas/technology there should still be growth just at a rate lower than before. Even if there was no innovation wouldn't existing technology and methods still be available ? ..allowing the country to maintain its production possibilities

Reaction score
Does Inflation cause an increase in export revenue if exports are inelastic!! ?
Yes, it causes an increase in the nominal revenue received from exports if export elasticity is inelastic. This is because, under such conditions, decline in quantity is less than increase in price, so the Total Outlay = P * Q increases.

Whether the real revenue increases or decreases depends on the level of inflation.

Reaction score
Can someone please briefly explain the relationship between unemployment and inflation?

Reaction score
Yes, it causes an increase in the nominal revenue received from exports if export elasticity is inelastic. This is because, under such conditions, decline in quantity is less than increase in price, so the Total Outlay = P * Q increases.

Whether the real revenue increases or decreases depends on the level of inflation.
ohhhhhhhh so when they say revenue rises they are talking about the nominal revenue!! Thankss!!!

Reaction score
Can help firms to reduce costs if they can keep nominal wage rates constant or increase it at a rate slower than inflation..so the real wage rate decreases.

It can increase consumption because real interest rates may be low as nominal interest rates don't tend to rise in line with inflation. So with lower interest rates we'd see an increase in monetary demand, namely increase in demand for loans for consumption and investment.

Also firms stand to benefit if the increase in prices of their goods is lower than their increase in cost of production incurred, essentially raising profit margins.

Low rates of inflation like that could also increase a country's price competitiveness if their rate of inflation is lower than that of their trading partners ( so, in the cost of their goods become lower for their trading partner(s).

Also for firms whose exported goods has inelastic demand, the increase in the price of their exports might actually lead to an increase in revenue for them.
Thanks alot once again I got them :)