• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

DONE WITH PHYSICS PAPER 11

Reaction score
Do you remember what were the statements exactly for the electromagnetic waves uses?

The first statement stated that infrared waves are used for remote controls.
The 2nd statement stated that Microwaves are used for satellites and TV broadcasts.
both of these statements are true therefore, the answer is statement 1 and 2

Reaction score
The first statement stated that infrared waves are used for remote controls.
The 2nd statement stated that Microwaves are used for satellites and TV broadcasts.
both of these statements are true therefore, the answer is statement 1 and 2

what about x rays being used for security checks?

the second statement stated radio waves being used not microwaves.. just saying

Reaction score
That's exactly my point in my previous reply. They did not specify which type of security check. There are various types of security checks.

Actually radio waves are not used for satellites. It's rather microwaves so 1 and 4 were correct as x-rays are used for security checks and infra-red for remote controls
Edit: Actually I think it's UHF waves or something not microwaves. But definitely not radio waves

Reaction score
Actually radio waves are not used for satellites. It's rather microwaves so 1 and 4 were correct as x-rays are used for security checks and infra-red for remote controls
Edit: Actually I think it's UHF waves or something not microwaves. But definitely not radio waves
I read somewhere on a trusted source on the Internet that radio waves are used for that. I just checked my Revision Guide, too. Oh well, I might be mistaken.

Reaction score
For the electromagnetic spectrum question, we need to check the syllabus to answer it accurately. The syllabus mention that radios waves are used for radio and TV Communications, while microwaves are used for TV satellites and telephones. So, basically the second statement is wrong. And it is mentioned in the syllabus that X-rays are used for security without more info. So the right answer is the use of infrared and X-rays. But I don't remember the exact sequence of the statements, can someone help me in that?

Reaction score
For the electromagnetic spectrum question, we need to check the syllabus to answer it accurately. The syllabus mention that radios waves are used for radio and TV Communications, while microwaves are used for TV satellites and telephones. So, basically the second statement is wrong. And it is mentioned in the syllabus that X-rays are used for security without more info. So the right answer is the use of infrared and X-rays. But I don't remember the exact sequence of the statements, can someone help me in that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/waves/soundandlightrev3.shtml

Reaction score

1 was infra red in remote controls
2 was radio waves in television satellites
3 was ultra violet in intruder alarms
4 was x-rays in security scans

1 and 4 are correct