• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ECF in S1?

Reaction score
I made a major mistake in my S1 exam. The question needed me to draw a probability distribution table, then find Var (X) and find a conditional probability. Unfortunately, I made a calculation mistake when making the table, which resulted in all wrong probabilities. I carried these probabilities forward to my calculations.

Will I get any ECF (error carried forward) marks for my mistake?

The Sarcastic Retard
awesomaholic101

Reaction score
I made a major mistake in my S1 exam. The question needed me to draw a probability distribution table, then find Var (X) and find a conditional probability. Unfortunately, I made a calculation mistake when making the table, which resulted in all wrong probabilities. I carried these probabilities forward to my calculations.

Will I get any ECF (error carried forward) marks for my mistake?

The Sarcastic Retard
awesomaholic101
According to me, I guess they will. As it was of almost 8 marks, they should. :)

Reaction score
I think you'll lose 1 mark per question due to the lack of "correct answer"...but you'll gain all the method marks. I was also worried about making a calculation mistake while solving it. DON'T WORRY! JUST FOCUS ON YOUR REMAINING EXAMS AND FORGET YOU EVEN SOLVED THIS PAPER! Worrying will NOT earn you more marks, quite the opposite, in fact!

Reaction score
I think you'll lose 1 mark per question due to the lack of "correct answer"...but you'll gain all the method marks. I was also worried about making a calculation mistake while solving it. DON'T WORRY! JUST FOCUS ON YOUR REMAINING EXAMS AND FORGET YOU EVEN SOLVED THIS PAPER! Worrying will NOT earn you more marks, quite the opposite, in fact!
Thanks! You're right, I should forget about it, but it just lags on the back of my mind. Ah well. What's done is done, and I can't look back.

Reaction score
Sane opinion ... You'll get ur method marks (y)

Reaction score
Since you have your calculation based on value from the probability distribution table above , you will obviously receive an ecf