• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics, Accounting & Business: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
What is J-curve mainly??
nd is it there in AS eco portion?

yes it is. if you have the second edition of economics book go to page 263 and read that part about J-curve and if you dont understand then come back here.

Reaction score
i have a problem in M/J 2002 P1 economics
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International A And AS Level/9708 - Economics/9708_s02_qp_1.pdf
Qns 13- no idea how the answer is B? pls explain?
Qns 29- i get that since price of oil increases and its demand is inelastic then demand pull inflation's effect will reduce as people will have less money to spend on other goods.....but what i dont get is how cost push inflation's effect increases....how is it even related?
Qns 30- why D?

Hey, do you have the mark scheme for this question paper? If u do, pls give it to me :)

Reaction score
I had the same doubt.

Only reasonable justification i could come up with is that foreign assets are recorded in the BOP (Capital account) and not foreign reserves.

thats the trick. they said foreign "EXCHANGE" and not foreign "RESERVES". foreign exchange means the country's own currency. so a surplus would reduce own currency instead of increasing it and so D is the only right option.

Reaction score
Que 3 - its a convex diagram (concave to the origin) just put some figures to the diagram and calculate the opportu.cost. You'll see that it increases for every extra unit you choose to produce.. Ans is D right?

Que 11 - i made the same mistake! Its again the maximum price. see initially the surplus is FGH. With the max price, there's a shortage and so the goods traded will only be GI. However, less price will increase the surplus by FGI. SO basically the fal in Qty has to be noted here i think.