• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics, Accounting & Business: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
thankyou so much! you saved me!!! except can you explain the s06 qp1 question 1 again, the one one interest rate and opportunity cost? thank you SO much!
your consumption increases, so your spending and spending and spending. Had you not spent, you could have put your money in the bank or elsewhere and earned an interest on it. Buh u dint, and chose to spend. So the interests become the O/C
Now was i clear?

Reaction score
ALso
even i get a few wrong....but what i do with it is......normally they ask us to find normative statements and i see the option and i think whether what they are saying is proven.....like some info i know that makes it a positive statement and then cancel out wrong options
hope this helps!
Also, almost all normative statements have words like "should" "deserve" "best" its just basically opinions.

Reaction score
Am so sorry i dont have a way of showing you. :/
A curve like that, has increasing opportunity cost. For eg, lets say Country A is producing is guns and butter.
I'l sorta give you the guidelines, see if u can put it in a diagram? I know its gonna get annoying. buh its worth it :)
Assume Y axis as butter and the other guns. (Max of butter 300 and Max of guns 200)
Assume the current level of production is 250 butter and 100 guns.
Then assume the country decides to produce more of guns, and increases production to 180, this will reduce production of butter to 200. Find the O/C of this decision. It = 0.625
Then again assume. the economy chooses to produce more of guns and increases to the max level, 200. Now the O/C will be 10.
Now do you see that the O/C has increased from 0.625 to 10??

I hope i dint end up confusing you. Buh am sorry, this was the only way i could assist you :/
Hope i did some help?!
(i made up the diagram when typing this, and it worked. Just try it :)
isn't the opp cost 2.5
really sorry but i dont understand again i did draw the diagram and am still getting fall in OC

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I have a very small doubt, I don't get normative and positive statements. I know normative statements express an opinion but every time i solve these Ques, I get them wrong. So please help I posted this earlier as well. Really need help!!!
Words like 'deserve', 'should', 'ought' or the likes of these when used in a statement, know that those statements are normative; the rest, positive.

Reaction score
Hello, I am having problems in some of the Eco MCQs of A2. Will be very glad if anyone helps me out here.
I am posting some of the mcqs here. Try to help me out in all of them or at least the ones you can solve.

Oct/Nov paper 31 2010=

18 According to monetarist theory, what will be the short-run and the long-run effect of an
unexpected increase in the money supply on the real wage level?
short-run long-run
A decrease increase
B decrease unchanged
C unchanged increase
D unchanged unchanged

why is the answer B here????

20 In a closed economy with no government
the full employment level of income = $400 billion
and the equilibrium level of income = $380 billion.
If the deflationary gap is $4 billion, what is the marginal propensity to consume?
A 1/5
B 1/4
C 3/4
D 4/5

Why is the answer D here??

22 An increase in the money supply leads to a fall in interest rates. What else will decrease as a
result of these changes?
A the desire to hold idle money balances
B the price of equities
C the price of government bonds
D the velocity of circulation of money

24 Which feature of the Indian economy could explain why the purchasing power parity exchange
rate of the Rupee is much higher than its market exchange rate?
A high levels of duty on imported goods
B high levels of rural unemployment
C the relatively low price of goods not traded internationally
D the relatively low rate of inflation

Why is the answer C here??

Oct/Nov 09 paper 32 =

Q9. (Sorry couldn't post the question here as it contained a diagram)

Why is the answer D here?

Q15. (Sorry couldn't post the question here as it contained a diagram)

Why is the answer C here?

Q20. (Sorry couldn't post the question here as it contained a diagram)

Thank you very much. Cheers! :)

Reaction score
Hello, I am having problems in some of the Eco MCQs of A2. Will be very glad if anyone helps me out here.
I am posting some of the mcqs here. Try to help me out in all of them or at least the ones you can solve.

Oct/Nov paper 31 2010=

18 According to monetarist theory, what will be the short-run and the long-run effect of an
unexpected increase in the money supply on the real wage level?
short-run long-run
A decrease increase
B decrease unchanged
C unchanged increase
D unchanged unchanged

why is the answer B here????

20 In a closed economy with no government
the full employment level of income = $400 billion
and the equilibrium level of income = $380 billion.
If the deflationary gap is $4 billion, what is the marginal propensity to consume?
A 1/5
B 1/4
C 3/4
D 4/5

22 An increase in the money supply leads to a fall in interest rates. What else will decrease as a
result of these changes?
A the desire to hold idle money balances
B the price of equities
C the price of government bonds
D the velocity of circulation of money

24 Which feature of the Indian economy could explain why the purchasing power parity exchange
rate of the Rupee is much higher than its market exchange rate?
A high levels of duty on imported goods
B high levels of rural unemployment
C the relatively low price of goods not traded internationally
D the relatively low rate of inflation

Oct/Nov 09 paper 32 =

Q9. (Sorry couldn't post the question here as it contained a diagram)

Why is the answer D here?

Q15. (Sorry couldn't post the question here as it contained a diagram)

Why is the answer C here?

Q20. (Sorry couldn't post the question here as it contained a diagram)

Thank you very much. Cheers! :)
hey!
sorry can't help with this now as we have AS paper tomorrow!
after it's done then maybe!
hope you don't mind!

Reaction score
isn't the opp cost 2.5
really sorry but i dont understand again i did draw the diagram and am still getting fall in OC
Its not 2.5
See, current production was 250 and 100
then it became 200 and 180. (opportunity cost = 0.625 of producing extra 80 guns)
and then 0 and 200. (O/C = 10 of producing extra guns) Here the increase in qty of guns is from 180 to 200. and the sacrifice is 200 to 0 of butter.

AM REALLY SORRY, am unable to put forward a diagram.

Reaction score
your consumption increases, so your spending and spending and spending. Had you not spent, you could have put your money in the bank or elsewhere and earned an interest on it. Buh u dint, and chose to spend. So the interests become the O/C
Now was i clear?
i get it now :D

Reaction score

A reduction in UK interest rates will cause less £s to be demanded as the rate of return of putting money in UK banks will be decreasing. This will cause the demand curve to shift to the left. Also, as the interest rates in the US have increased more £s will be supplied on to the market (as people in the UK will want to put their money in US banks who have higher rates of interest). This will cause the supply curve to shift to the right - which is point C.

Hope that helped. ^_^

Reaction score
it cant be zero for nuts as a change in income has caused a change in price, had it stayed zero then it would be zero. ill just check the other question

Reaction score
Its not 2.5
See, current production was 250 and 100
then it became 200 and 180. (opportunity cost = 0.625 of producing extra 80 guns)
and then 0 and 200. (O/C = 10 of producing extra guns) Here the increase in qty of guns is from 180 to 200. and the sacrifice is 200 to 0 of butter.

AM REALLY SORRY, am unable to put forward a diagram.
yah
i get it now!
i was comparing opp with 250 and 100 and ok........i get it!
thanks!

Reaction score
it cant be zero for nuts as a change in income has caused a change in price, had it stayed zero then it would be zero. ill just check the other question
in A the exports and imports both have an inelastic ped. there is a depreciation in currency of country x, making their imports more expensive than exports, since inelastic, demand of exports will fall greater than demand for imports, hence BOP defecit. option D is the exact opposite as the ped is elastic in that case

Reaction score
in A the exports and imports both have an inelastic ped. there is a depreciation in currency of country x, making their imports more expensive than exports, since inelastic, demand of exports will fall greater than demand for imports, hence BOP defecit. option D is the exact opposite as the ped is elastic in that case
i meant c*

Reaction score
in A the exports and imports both have an inelastic ped. there is a depreciation in currency of country x, making their imports more expensive than exports, since inelastic, demand of exports will fall greater than demand for imports, hence BOP defecit. option C is the exact opposite as the ped is elastic in that case.
This is the only case where surplus is favourable. i hope you get it