• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English language notes ?

Reaction score
Help me. I am appearing for 9093, in november 15 session. Are 4 papers compulsory to give if i want to go to UK/USA from India?

Reaction score
Help me. I am appearing for 9093, in november 15 session. Are 4 papers compulsory to give if i want to go to UK/USA from India?
I live in the USA and no one really cares about A Levels. At my university, we get course credit for A Levels so long as we get an E on English and Psychology and D on Biology. Other schools might require higher grades, but you should definitely check the schools you're looking at to see what they require or if they'll even give you credit.

On the other hand, one of my teachers is from the UK and she always complains that we're such slackers. :p

Reaction score
Here's some general tips for writing commentaries:
Identify GASPS - genre, audience, style, purpose, structure - in the writing and include it in the commentary
Commentaries should be around 300-400 words
Look for specific features in the text and provide examples to support your conclusions about them
You can always look at the tense and style of the writing, like inclusive, exclusive, first person, etc.

For directed writing:
For P1, look at the GASPS analysis in the commentary and then use that to make it similar to the original text
For P3, try to copy the features you would see normally in that type of writing. For example, emergency broadcasts are usually short and concise

For P2:
Remember that you have the choice of several prompts
For argumentative/discursive, identify if the prompt wants you to look at both sides equally or just one side

For P4:
Paper 4 is basically the only one where you have to know specific terms
If you have the textbook, you can review that - it has transcriptions already in it
If you don't have the textbook, look at transcriptions of parent/child interactions or friendly interactions and try to identify elements like turn taking, parent-ese, and exclusive language

Basically, this is what we did in my English class this last year. Hope it helps!

Reaction score
Hey! I'm taking English language as a full credit subject which is now 9093 code. I haven't given it as an As so I'll be having four papers to do. I'm done with the preparation of first 3 papers but the 4th one is a bit tricky. Actually, i'm totally clueless about it. I've seen the syllabus and the content but I need some guidance. I have 3 really lengthy subjects, it's quite hard to do research on the topics of p4 of english language, hence I was wondering if someone could provide me with links to sites or give me some notes based on the content of P4 of English Language? Your help and guidance would be very much appreciated! :D

Here's the topics:
Topic A: Spoken language and social groups
• Topic B: English as a global language
• Topic C: Language acquisition by children and teenagers
as for the content needed, check out page 12 and 13 of the syllabus: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/93313-2014-syllabus.pdf

Dear, I need your help, I am doing A-level english language for the first time and I don't know anything about it, can u help me out and provide me some advice and notes or learning website and material?

Reaction score
Thanks.

Here's some general tips for writing commentaries:
Identify GASPS - genre, audience, style, purpose, structure - in the writing and include it in the commentary
Commentaries should be around 300-400 words
Look for specific features in the text and provide examples to support your conclusions about them
You can always look at the tense and style of the writing, like inclusive, exclusive, first person, etc.

For directed writing:
For P1, look at the GASPS analysis in the commentary and then use that to make it similar to the original text
For P3, try to copy the features you would see normally in that type of writing. For example, emergency broadcasts are usually short and concise

For P2:
Remember that you have the choice of several prompts
For argumentative/discursive, identify if the prompt wants you to look at both sides equally or just one side

For P4:
Paper 4 is basically the only one where you have to know specific terms
If you have the textbook, you can review that - it has transcriptions already in it
If you don't have the textbook, look at transcriptions of parent/child interactions or friendly interactions and try to identify elements like turn taking, parent-ese, and exclusive language

Basically, this is what we did in my English class this last year. Hope it helps!

Reaction score
I am going to appear for 9093 paper 1 and 2 in MAY/JUNE 2020 and I need help. I have given a try in OCT/NOV 2019 but I got ungraded by 1 mark. If anybody has any solved commentaries, paper 3 writings or any useful links, kindly post them or send them on my email id: [email protected]

Reaction score
I am going to appear for 9093 paper 1 and 2 in MAY/JUNE 2020 and I need help. I have given a try in OCT/NOV 2019 but I got ungraded by 1 mark. If anybody has any solved commentaries, paper 3 writings or any useful links, kindly post them or send them on my email id: [email protected]
Same buddy, I'm looking for resources too :/