• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

environmental management oct 2013

Reaction score
tell me diff b/w open cast mining and deep shaft mining.

Open-Cast Mining is applied when the mineral seam is close to the surface or is exposed towards the top. Excavators and mining machinery is used to extract the mineral from the open ground, leaving a large hole in the ground. Coal is mined through this way, sometimes.
Deep Mining is applied when the minerals are located deep in the ground. Shaft Mining is a specific type of Deep mining, in which a vertical shaft is dug into the ground and the minerals are extracted that way. It is an expensive method, and is also very dangerous as underground there are harmful gases that can cause explosions. In case of a disaster it will be difficult to escape, as compared to if the miner was outside. It is also more time-consuming that open-cast mining. Minerals are extracted vertically upwards.

Reaction score
Open-Cast Mining is applied when the mineral seam is close to the surface or is exposed towards the top. Excavators and mining machinery is used to extract the mineral from the open ground, leaving a large hole in the ground. Coal is mined through this way, sometimes.
Deep Mining is applied when the minerals are located deep in the ground. Shaft Mining is a specific type of Deep mining, in which a vertical shaft is dug into the ground and the minerals are extracted that way. It is an expensive method, and is also very dangerous as underground there are harmful gases that can cause explosions. In case of a disaster it will be difficult to escape, as compared to if the miner was outside. It is also more time-consuming that open-cast mining. Minerals are extracted vertically upwards.

try to do it this way that u mention a diff in one sentence about both the ways. see you mentioned the financial and the "dangerous thingy" diff in the shaft mining but not in opencast. eeach and every of ur points should be diff and distinct, and clearly mentioned, or perhaps described too if the marks are more.

well if we see the points u mentioned are...
1. depth of coal seams
2. visual pollution.
3. finance
4. ease
5. time consumption

my additional points...
1. more transporting proceedure is there in deep mining than in open cast.
2. management of opencast is easy due to landfill method.
3. air and land pollution

Reaction score
try to do it this way that u mention a diff in one sentence about both the ways. see you mentioned the financial and the "dangerous thingy" diff in the shaft mining but not in opencast. eeach and every of ur points should be diff and distinct, and clearly mentioned, or perhaps described too if the marks are more.

well if we see the points u mentioned are...
1. depth of coal seams
2. visual pollution.
3. finance
4. ease
5. time consumption

my additional points...
1. more transporting proceedure is there in deep mining than in open cast.
2. management of opencast is easy due to landfill method.
3. air and land pollution

Deep mining does not result in air and land pollution?

Reaction score
as for those who gave EM very few got an A and i have still not come across someone who got an A*

Reaction score
I came across some A*s in Environmental Management but my prepapration was also very good. Still waiting for mark schemes

Reaction score
I am thinking to go for an extra subject in the May 2014 session with the other six science subjects. I have short listed two of them, History World affairs and sociology. Which one is better? Which is more likely to yield an A or A*? I have got six days to decide! Your suggestions?

Reaction score
I am thinking to go for an extra subject in the May 2014 session with the other six science subjects. I have short listed two of them, History World affairs and sociology. Which one is better? Which is more likely to yield an A or A*? I have got six days to decide! Your suggestions?
World history is one difficult subject. I prepared sociology in just one month and ended up with an A*.
It's your call. If you are interested in History then go for it.